Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a well known engine builder to use RTV instead of an exhuast gasket. I just wondered if anybody has done this and what type of RTV was used (copper,high temp. black, etc.)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've heard of this for old cast iron manifold because ideally both the head surface and the exhaust manifold are flat.

Also I remember watching one of the ESPN car shows and there was some header manufacturer that actually recommended RTV. But again the header had a wide weld bead on the engine side of the header flange that had been milled flat.

·
RobKong
1,118 Posts
Copper RTV works for me :)

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You can use copper RTV. I've done it. It's a mess to clean later. You can also order copper header gaskets for $20 to $30 and keep reusing them. That's what I do now. If you get a leak pull the header, clean the gasket with brake clean, carb cleaner or my favorite a can of heavy duty oven cleaner (from the dollar store :) and put it back together.

·
Registered
164 Posts
another trick is to soak your standard header gaskets in water for a couple hours before putting it on. It seals much better when its a little softer when you tighten it up.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I used a light amount of copper stuff on both sides of the gasket. its worked great!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dragstang has a good comment for people with leaky headers. My friend races roundy-round cars and we soak standard header gaskets in water and it works great. It has always seemed to work better when you install the gaskets and fire up the engine and let it warm up to operating temp. and shut it off and let it cool. Tight seal and no leaks!!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have used the "red" high temp silicone for a long time, I smear a thin coat on the head and header side and bolt up the header, works for me, never tried the copper though..or the water soaking...I may give those two options a try...:)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I dont like the mess of using rtv, its hard to get the headers to line up perfectly without smudging the stuff all over the place. IT would probably work better with header studs though. I soak my gaskets and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. There is a lot of great info here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts