Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to make my own bar and mounts. I thought you might share your findings/measurements with me.
I'm going to use spherical bearings(1/2 or 5/8") on each end of the bar and weld mounts to the drivers side frame. For the other end I'll come off the passenger side shock mount with another bracket. If the frame side flexes too much I'll brace to the other side. I think I'll mount the bar so it is parallel with the C/L of the axle when the car is level and at running height (I have coilovers also).

I figure it can't hurt...much to hope.

Email me at [email protected] or post your thoughts/measurements. Send or attach pictures if you want to too.

Thanks to all,
explorer

·
Registered
529 Posts
I made my own Panhard bar a few years ago. What you described as your plan on building one is similar to what I did. What I would suggest you do would be to place the frame mount as far out board as possible. I mounted mine to the outside of the subframe of the car. I used a 2x2 .125 wall square steel tube with a brace to the other side of the car, attached to the subframe on the pass. side. I also used 5/8 shank - 1/2 bore teflon lined heims. You get the strength of 5/8 but you can use a 1/2 bolt to attach the rod to the mounts, which is all you need.
Also if you're going to go though the trouble of building your own why not make it adjustable for height. I slotted my frame mount so that I could level the bar when ever I changed my ride height. I also have 4 corner coil overs. My bar is also below the center line of the axle. I can't tell you how much but it is. What I plan on doing at some later date is to redo the axle mount to make it adjustable for height. This will allow you to change the rear roll center.

Don't ask me for pics as the car is being stored 300 miles from my house this winter, I couldn't pass up the free storage.

If you have any other questions go ahead and ask and I will try to answer them.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I noticed you live in St Louis. Well the car is near Marion, IL. Not far from where you live. If you need to see the car we might be able to work something out. No timeline on this though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim,

Thanks for the info. Anytime you plan on being down this way you email me and I'll see if I can take some time to visit.

drudis,

Like the pictures. Love the car. Looks like you have been creative with a lot on the underside. Is it a track only car? Looks like it holds up just fine with those vipers and such. Nice TA also.

Anymore pictures or others wanting to chime in?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I made 2 and I'll make another.
They shared the same frame mount. The first one shared the shock bolt and worked great, but I was worried about the strength of it. So I rebuilt the mount, and at the same time talked myself into raising the bar about 2 inches. The bar was also shortened a little to fit. Well, I shouldn't have listened to me because I didn't like the higher roll center as much.
So the 3rd one will lower the mount again and have a bracket that ties into several points.
The panhard bar was made from heavy wall tubing and 2 shock eyes from the wreckers. The rubber was replaced with an energy suspension polyurethane kit. It has no clunking.
Overall I think the panhard bar is worth it. The lower RC is good and the predictability is a bonus. The rearend moves through the same arc every time, whereas the stock rearend squirms this way one time and that way the next.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts