Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'd like to use an 87-93 alternator on an 85 5.0 coupe. Is there any way to do this??

thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my '85. I found that it would be a pain in the azz to re-wire the '85 to accept a newer alt. The solution is to checkout pa-performance.com. It's the place that sells the alternator kits. They have a kit to put a 2G or 3G alt in a '85 with their external regulator kit.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would I waste any time or money on a 3G alternator? The stock 65 amp alternator lasted 18 years w/ out fail. The reason I ask is I have a spare alternator from a 90GT laying around and I figured, why not. I finally figured it wasn't worth it when I went down to Autozone today and bought a nice new one for $40 bux with a lifetime warranty. Whoever built the alternator used a Motorcraft case, so it looks like a brand new Ford alternator. Had them zap on my overdrive pulley, and boom, ready to go.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Coupester said:
Why would I waste any time or money on a 3G alternator? The stock 65 amp alternator lasted 18 years w/ out fail. The reason I ask is I have a spare alternator from a 90GT laying around and I figured, why not. I finally figured it wasn't worth it when I went down to Autozone today and bought a nice new one for $40 bux with a lifetime warranty. Whoever built the alternator used a Motorcraft case, so it looks like a brand new Ford alternator. Had them zap on my overdrive pulley, and boom, ready to go.

Time,money? I bought a 3G at the boneyard for $65 and installed it in about an hour in my '93. I have a 130a alternator with an underdrive pulley that is 10x better than a 2G with an overdrive pulley, that's why.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts