Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I drive my bimmer the more I realize how important/helpfull the ABS and Traction Control is.

I know there's a way to install ABS in a Fox and I'm seriously considering doing the upgrade since I've already got the Cobra brakes on it, but I'm wondering if there's a way to do traction control??:confused:

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Well, if you've got contemporary abs installed, you have a way of monitoring rear tire speed vs. road speed. ABS software uses that data to control tire lock up. Traction control software uses the same data to control tire spin - but it's a complex bit of computing. Different companies control it different ways - some control throttle (drive by wire), some apply rear brakes, some use a mix of brakes, throttle, timing, etc. I don't know of anyone that sells an aftermarket computer - you might try an internet search under 'traction control' and see if anyone's marketing an aftermarket unit.

It is a great safety device in slick conditions (my other car's a Bimmer with traction control); however, if you want to extract the best acceleration times, almost all testers/racers turn the traction control off. The human computer can almost always modulate the variables in a way to get the best acceleration times - or the best burnouts. :)

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
The only way that I know of is with a AEM but that will not function like a OEM system.

Tim

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's AEM?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gray86hatch said:
I looked at it and it seems like their traction control would be strictly for improvement of 60ft times because it's based on dialing in maximum power in specific gear at given rpm.

I'm looking for overall drivebility as driving in rain and such. It
really makes it easier to control the car and make it more predictible.

From the an ABS convertion article that I've read it sounds like the computer that controls ABS is a standalone unit. I wonder if the 99+ ABS computer is just a more advanced version that somehow plugs into the engines ECU.

Does anyone have a copy of wiring diagrams for the ABS for a 99+ car?

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Yup that is what it is but it is traction control
I buddy of mine is using it on his drag radial car and it works unbelivable. Just not what you are looking for.

Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
That kit look neat, but you'd better seriously consider the cost of retrofitting a Fox with ABS. The 99 and up wiring is not like older Mustangs, it's not full of electronic modules that you can pick apart. There's one GEM module that pretty much does it all, and the EEC has a big role as well. The multiplex communication networks make it a huge challenge to pull off.

Personally, I'd pass on the ABS and go for the traction control linked to in the post above utilizing their wheel sensors.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
that looks cool.....it would make my car winter driveable again :D

but, that's why i have my honda.....

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
The factory ABS/Traction control systems are quite sophisticated. They require the use of speed sensors at all four wheels, as well as an electronic vehicle speed sensor. The computer compares vehicle speed to wheel speed. For braking, most contemporary systems can release brake pressure wheel by wheel to keep a tire from locking up. For traction they work a number of ways - some apply the brake to the tire that's spinning. If the car is sophisticated enough - some cut throttle or cut timing to reduce power, and if that's not enough then they apply a brake.

Most of the drag-launch systems you can buy don't actually sense vehicle and wheel speed. They simply allow you limit or ramp up rpm according to a certain rate or for a certain period of time, or they modify the timing curve to limit power until a certain rpm or until a certain amount of time has past. You can taylor those curves to the ambient, tune and track conditions you're facing so that you're able to simply launch hard with the gas on the floor. The computer does the 'feathering' for you by limiting rpm and/or timing. If you guess wrong, you can still lose traction - and you have to adjust the system for the next run. So in that sense - I wouldn't call them traction control systems - I'd call them launch control systems. Seems an important distinction to me - the difference is whether or not they're comparing vehicle speed to wheel speed and using feed back to make adjustments in real-time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Would the expense really be worth the result? A good set of tires designed for the weather you are driving in, a steady left foot, and some experience driving your car in inclement weather are more valuable than traction control.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Amen, preach on!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
SHaFT7 said:
that looks cool.....it would make my car winter driveable again :D

but, that's why i have my honda.....
Amen to that! Winter beaters rule...

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
The kit appears to have it's own wheel-speed sensors available for cars that weren't equipped with ABS to start with.

I can tell you that a well designed traction control system makes a huge difference in slippery conditions on rear wheel drive cars - even for a seasoned driver. As for dry launches, unless you have a Formula 1 sized budget, it's difficult to improve performance over a human-controlled lauch. Most factory systems are so conservative that magazine testers routinely get the quickest times in the dry by turning the traction control off. However, if consistency is what you're after - hard to beat electronics which do it the same way over and over and over.....

When it comes to cornering, driver preferance enters the picture. I know on the autocross course, I prefer having some power-on oversteer at my disposal to help turn/steer the car. On a higher speed road course however, it's nice to know that you're not gonna break the rear end loose with throttle application in the medium speed turn-exits. There are some drivers who prefer that flexibility however.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
ask F1 Champ cup drivers about traction control ;)

Sounds like a cool idea...interested to read more about it!

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Like I said - if you have a F1-sized budget, you can make one work quite well. Even they have discontinued it - last year I believe. Trying to return more control to the driver. Did you see Michael get smoked on the start this morning? I bet he wished he'd had his traction control back!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts