Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
The Early 3650's didn't have a reputation for being great shifters. The 1-2 clunk TSB being a notable complaint about them. I had an '03GT, and those first few 1-2 or even 2-3 shifts on a cold AM were cringeworthy. No idea if the issue was corrected in later versions.

Strong trans though.
By MY2008 they seem to have eliminated those issues, but the semi-remote-mounted shifter caused high-rpm shifting issues. Aftermarket shifters could improve but not eliminate this if the intermediate link between the shifter and the rail had worn.

Strength isn't an issue with the 3650 for a NA 4.6L 3-valve but the steps between 2nd and 3rd, and between 4th and 5th are really too wide for that engine. Gear spacing and eliminating the semi-remote shifter is why I am somewhat interested in the TKX. It's a considerably less expensive alternative to the Magnum XL.

Norm

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I was told it fits just like a TKO!

For those running a TKO - is the stifflers TKO spacer needed to do the install ? I have their cross member. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know about other retailers but I noticed today on the Modern Driveline site that shipping TKX for Fords have been pushed back a month. I guess GM units have already started shipping. Ford units were supposed to start going out mid-late January, now it says mid-late February.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I was told it fits just like a TKO!

For those running a TKO - is the stifflers TKO spacer needed to do the install ? I have their cross member. Thanks.

I installed the Stifflers on mine in April and didn't need the spacer kit, it put it against the tranny tunnel. You are talking about this one right?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have that spacer kit and don't need it. Tranny sits fine without it. The top pic is tranny tunnel with spacers between the tranny and the mount, the second is without the spacers which is good. The bottom shows the stifflers crossmember with the metal shims, worked out good. And what is nice about the TKX for a lot of people is that it doesn't have the mount on the tail shaft for a torque arm. I'm either doing a 6 speed or a new TKX

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
TKO 600, I was just saying the TKX doesn't have the torque arm mounting points

Reactions: Striker01

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have mine on order thru APW. Tremec is dropping the ball on deliveries. Don't know if its because of production line issues or covid (apparently T56's havent had an issue?) GM units started arriving last week, when i called last Friday APW was hoping to start receiving Ford boxes around the middle of this month but considering it was originally supposed to be shipping at the end of November..... I'm #7 on the Ford list and she said they usually get ~12 in at a time so I should be in the first batch. Last piece I need to get the car back on the road again (again)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I don’t know if I should order mine now in order to get it for may?!

I was told by American power train that they are having production issues. Maybe there’s lots of parts on it from China?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Material shortages are global right now. I’m not surprised. I’m managing this within my own vendors and supply chain. Lead times are long, and costs are starting to creep up.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
They told me summit will be shipping out next month. For what it’s worth.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
How do you like the stifflers crossmember? I have looked at it and the one that American Powertrain sells when doing my TKX upgrade.....
I just got mine an hour ago. Looks like a nice stout piece. Hopefully the install is straightforward and no issues with exhaust clearance

C393AF64-EB13-4C51-8680-9A2DB8B3C413.jpeg

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
How do you like the stifflers crossmember? I have looked at it and the one that American Powertrain sells... Not sure yet which to use on the TKX upgrade.....
I like it, lines everything up nicely. Haven't had a lot of drive time with it though.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts