Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
It really isn't that bad. I am in the process of doing it right now. The main issues that need tackling are electronics - but if you are using a carb 351 then you shouldn't have any problems at all. In fact, on a 96-98 car it is very straightforward as you have a return based fuel system, and do not use a coil on plug setup. These are 2 issues that have come up swapping the 351 into my 2002, but I am working around them =)

I agree, the price of performance on the mod motors is outrageous. I am sure this will come down over time, but I am interested in performance right now. Maybe once the aftermarket grows and the engine proves itself it would make sense to swap back.

Just for reference I am swapping a 408 stroker into my 2002 GT, and retaining the distributorless ignition system, running EFI. 94-95 K-Member, 3/4" drop motor mounts, custom headers, and everything else you would need to swap a 351 into a fox (oilpan, new harmonic damper, accessory bracket, etc). Theres a good article in the current 5.0 magazine about doing the swap.

No engine swap is an 'easy' job given the amount of potential headaches, but if you plan it out well enough you may be ok. I thought about building a 4v motor to use instead, but the price/performance really isnt there. The stock internals on a 4.6 seem woefully inadequate at dealing with any forced induction - I would never put any power adders on this stock motor (ive seen what the rods are made of), so the only option is either build a 4.6 motor ($$$), or build a 351 motor and swap it in. The cost will probably be about the same as building a 4.6 motor, the only difference being I end up with a 600hp 408 rather than a 300hp 281.

Email me if you have any questions about the swap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
fauxexplorer said:
i would use mod motor electronics and sensors and avoid any hassell,just custom chip it after swap.and ac and cruise,and speedo will work.same firing order so use the better dis system.there are cps and triggers available for the 351.to do just that.
good luck.
ecc v is a good system contrary to myth.
I'm using a cam position shaft from an Explorer 5.0 which also had DIS (resleeved shaft, it's a slightly different shape to the 351), and a crank trigger and bracket from a 5.0 Explorer also. The trigger pickup doesnt quite come out far enough, but a 3/4" block of metal fixes that problem. I'm going to have to change to a 98 computer because there is no physical way of mounting the coil on plug ignition system to a 351.

An adapted fuel rail on a GT40 lower would have fixed the RFS problem, but seeing as I am going to use a non-rfs computer now that is no longer needed.

Mechanically the swap is simple, electronically it is a bit of work. I am going to hack together an explorer harness with a 98 GT harness (using lots of helms manuals) and see how that works out. It doesnt seem to be much harder than any other engine swap in reality, just sounds hard. Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
fauxexplorer said:
the explorer dis brackets will mount coilpacks where theres room.
The explorer did not have a coil-on-plug setup. They have coilpacks which sit like a distributor and have wires leading to each plug. The 99+ Mustangs have each individual coilpack on top of each sparkplug (just like my Supra). I do not think it will be possible to transfer this setup over to the 351 as I am unsure if it is actually physically feasible to mount these packs on the 351.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.