Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the question.. I don't really need one right now except in the middle of the summer in bumper to bumper traffic with the A/C on... but I could always use some extra cooling I'm sure.. and if it frees up some HP than that would definately convince me!!!

P.S. I know I'll have to install a 130amp alternator to run some of the better units...

Scott

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody??

·
Registered
391 Posts
Of course you will gain a little hp, because you are taking off the fan that the engine has to turn, however i do not think that it will be a lot of hp.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yep

Not sure how much, but there is less drag on the motor without the fan. I could notice a seat of the pants feel when I took off my stock fan/clutch and put on my Black Magic.

·
Registered
241 Posts
it's worth it!! but you'll need a 3g alternator. don't buy one of these aftermarket fans... they don't flow what they claim! just go to the local pick-n-pull and get a ford fan. v6 ones work fine for 300-450 hp.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My temp is starting to rise some and sitting in traffic in the heat, the temp needle goes about half way, and I know its over 200*. My plans right now are to get a PA Performance 130amp alternator, then go to Ford and buy a Lincoln Mark 8 electric fan. Now wiring it up and getting it working right is probably going to be a chore, cause I have no clue how to have it setup, but its supposed to pull ALOT of cfm. If it can cool a Lincoln, it can cool a stang.

PA alternator- $200
Mark 8 fan- $100

not sure how much relay, wires, etc will cost.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I gained 1 tenth/ 1 mph when I removed my stock fan. I ran my best times at two different tracks with the fan removed. Just take your car to the track and remove the fan. Push your car through the staging lanes and make a pass. Put the fan back on and make another pass and see if it is any faster. I have the Black Magic fan and I have no problems with it. I have a 305rwhp NA car with heads, intake, and cam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts