Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it may be a redundant question, but I have a 95 Cobra with heads cam and so on with a Procharger setup includung an AFPR and 30# injectors! My gas mileage is absolutly ridiculous. I am using a 255 in tank pump along with a trex in line. I completly understand you need to sacrifice gas to make power, but even when I am not under any boost??? My car only gets about 110 miles to a full tank. Is a FMU the solution or does everyone out ther have this happen?????? I fiqured it would be bad, but my God is it getting expensive to drive everyday!!!! Thanks again Mike:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hear ya man. I have just learned to live with it. That's why I drive a second more economic car to work etc. I average around 150miles a tank or depending how much I'm getting on it. I even have a built motor and all of the above, with a S-trim making 10#'s. It's hard to say that there is a solution. Once you start modifying, your pretty much throwing economy out the window!:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input man, i have lived with it for a while. What bugs me ia that my friend has a 200 WS-6 with a Procharger on it and the mofo still get sabout 250 miles to the tank! How the hell does that work? Of course he gets a bit less if he is on it all the time, but still a ton more than mustangs get! Anybody with a FMU have this problem? Thanks

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
I have heads/cam/intake/s-trim/30lb injector/Cartech FMU. In the city I can go about 215miles before filling up, and can go about 250 miles before fill up on the highway. I would do a tune up and see what happens...fuel filter, cap, rotor. Also, a lot of times, bad gas mileage comes from a bad or dirty meter. If the calibration is wrong you will get horrible gas mileage. Try cleaning the element in the meter with some electronics cleaner and a quitip. That should clean up the gas mileage issue.

Troy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys

REDSNK thanks for the good info! I guess I will check my meter, everything else is relatively new! I sware to you guys on this tank og gas I fust got, I told myself not to get on it at all, I haven't at all yet and the gas mileage os the same. I have the fuel pressure up high cause I don't have a FMU! I know this is still better than having too little fuel and going BOOM *****, but i know guys out there with the same mods are getting a lot better MPG than me! Keep the advice coming guys. I also am about to install and tune my car via my EEC-IV tuner board. You think this will help at all?? Thanks

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
Well the high base fuel pressure has a lot to do with your bad gas mileage. Once you start using the EEC Tuner, you will be able to set the base at 40lbs of fuel pressure again, which will help a lot.

Troy

·
Registered
245 Posts
Using the Tuner will help your fuel mileage. I got over 22MPG with my old setup(see sig) in 70/30 driving. Averaged 75 on the highway too. I leaned out the base tables until the car would surge, then added some fuel. Car ran great and mileage increased.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My smartass fix...

Well, I put a Fuel Safe 20gal cell under the car. But...

All fun (at the track), I can watch the gauge drop.
Mostly fun (hard street use), I average 10-12 mpg.
Around town, no fun, I average 15-18 mpg.
All highway, I average 20-22mpg.

The above is with 42lb nozzles. Its part how you drive, part your tune. Now that my MAF is tuned, fuel economy is pretty good, and I pass CA smog. The Pro-M Optimizer is a handy part with a stock computer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts