Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a leaky tranny pan since I got the car... I have replaced the gasket probably 4 times... it will seal for about a month and then start to leak for no reason... I have used rubber seals, cork seals, I think I have tried everything! I need some help! I will be taking my tranny out soon to replace the rear main seal and this will be a good opportunity to finally get the ****er to seal once and for all...

If I can't get any help on this I think I am going to try a rubber gasket smeared both sides with permatex form-a-gasket.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
It's probably been overtightened, distorting the pan rails so they're not flat anymore, leading to leaks. See if you can hammer them straight again and don't overtighten it.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a brand new FMS Transmission pan and I torqued it to spec, using locktite on all the bolts. the transmission pan gasket was a rubber unit from O'reillys

·
Registered
294 Posts
Use some vaseline on both sides of gasket and clean the snot outa the tranny bottom. Sounds like you got a bad pan. I had problems with pulled-thru holes on factory pan, got FMS unit and 0 leaks - great little unit with drain plug.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey 89GETE i have the same pan you have. the chrome FMS pan with the drain plug... also the vaseline thing are you using that on a rubber or cork gasket and have you actually done this or is this just a suggestion???

·
Registered
294 Posts
MYLITTLEHO,
I have used the vaseline in the past, but not on this one. Make sure no dirt is packed in the dead-ended bolt holes and they are bottoming-out. Mine leaked b/c the threads were stripped - stepped-up to a longer bolt and it stopped leaking. I wouldn't use loctite, use RTV. I use a cork gasket. Make sure you lay-out the gasket and let it flatten a bit before installing. You can also undo tranny mounts and jack tranny up to get those back bolts started with your fingers and you can see if gasket is moving out. Tranny pans are a pain!

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
89gete said:
Tranny pans are a pain!
Tell me about it... I almost had to drop my X pipe to get the pan on!!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
X-pipe!

No wonder you're not having fun! So this is the first time you have bolted the new pan on - make sure you torque the bolts to spec also.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've actually had the new pan on for a little bit over 6 months... I thought it would cure my little leaking problem but I guess it is something that I am doing, not just the pan. I cussed that X pipe up and down because of the tranny pan. The thicker flanges on the new pan made it a very very very tight fit. If I have to replace the pan in the car again, I will pull the exhaust just for ease of installation.

Scott

MFE were you the one that sent me the adapter shims for the Monroe GP struts?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Done properly those things never leak.

I bet that it is your dip stick o-ring. There is an o-ring on the metal tube that the dipstick slides into. Pull out the dipstick, and the tube, replace the o-ring and I bet the leaking will stop ;)

Ian

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hear what you are saying but in this case it is actually the pan, I've checked

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I crawled underneith and looked. There is no fluid coming from the dipstick tube area but there is a leak in the front right corner and in a few other spots.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I like to use silicone seal and slightly snug the bolts then next day tighten them, if you tighten the bolts while the sealer is wet you just squeze it out probably in your pan instead of where you need it, This trick realy seals;)

also use some laquer thinner to wipe of the gasket surfaces first , man, does it clean nice , make shure the surface is flat and not distorted from the bolts on the pan

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I am suggesting from experience, the same thing happened to me several times. I had fluid leaking all over the place and all around the pan. I called Lentech because it happened when I installed their tranny and Len told me it was my o-ring, I picked one up and replaced it, problem solved.

I am sticking with the o-ring ;)

Ian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts