Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the light on in my 91 GT. It flashes 4 times then a pause then 4 times. I thought that was a code 44 but everyone tells me its a code 4. I was also getting the Airbag light blinking 10 times. I disconnected the battery last night and this AM I remove the right front sensor, cleaned it all up, cleaned the bracket, wire wheeled a little then cleaned out the contacts in the connector.

I reconnected everything and hooked the battery back up. It went away for the first few min of a drive but its back and I'm still getting the same code. I also got the loud 5 beeps inside the car as well.

Does anyone know where the wiring harness from the diagnostic module passes through the firewall? I'm thinking I have a short somewhere and need to find it before going any further.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You can’t clear the code until the problem is fixed. If it is like the SN95 cars, one the problem is fixed the 44 code will be replaced With code 94 (code 44 fixed) IIRC. That code can then be cleared.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Code 10 air bag system has detected short to ground and seen this short as an internal air bag module issue. Changed out the blue air bag module behind the A/C controls with one that tested good in another car and it worked on 2 different 91 GT's this year. Code 10 is probably the most common foxbody air bag code. One of the 91 GT's that I fixed the clock spring was also bad as well as the module. Code 44 will be cleared from the continuous memory once the short is fixed with the module replacement.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I fixed mine by disconnecting it. I don't want a 1 stage 30+ year old airbag deploying. My car is a 90, should have bought a 89...

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Flyin Ryan

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm well I went and bought some parts from a guy and he gave me an airbag module that he thought was good. I swapped it out after leaving battery disconnected for 30 min. Plugged it in and reconnected battery. Air bag light blinks 1 time then short pause then blinks 2 times. I checked fuse location #12 and the fuse was gone. I put a 15amp fuse in that spot and started the car. Same 1 pause 2 blinks.

Is that code 12?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Code 12 would be 12 continuous flashes of the airbag light and it would do it repeatedly over and over 12 flashes. But code 12 is also bad diagnostic monitor/airbag module (blue box) behind the A/C control panel the one you got already was probably defective even though this person you got it from may have thought that it was good. Kind of sounds like code 2 now from what your describing. Try to drive your car for a while see if the problem goes away on its own after installing the missing fuse sometimes they do stop flashing. Also re-check the new fuse since it didn't have one. If not try another blue box. I sent you a pm about the one I have I can verify is in good working condition if needed. I would also go around under the hood and check all the crash sensors up front and their wiring harnesses. Code 2 says all crash sensors disconnected. Still leaning towards another bad blue box.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Also, just in case... have someone hold those wires going to the blue box. I had an issue where they were only connecting SOMETIMES. And the outcome was there was a stereo harness pushing that wiring harness just enough that it was disconnecting.

I would also spray DeOxit on your terminal. 30-year-old wiring is a pain.

I'm still hoping someone, somewhere will make a new clockspring for these cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts