Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Hooker Headers today and I'm going to install them hopefully this weekend. Is there anything esle that I need to know. I know I will probably have to put a spacer or solid bushing under the pass. side motor mount to prevent it from hitting my frame but as far as anything esle goes will you please fill me in. Thanks guys for the help!!!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
make sure you have plenty of time and you will also need a spring compressor for the front springs...2 people working on the job will make it go a lot better...get some peroxide and band aids also...you will need a lot of them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Use the search button...tons of info on this subject.

1) Install is a major PITA. REMOVE THE K-MEMBER when doing this. It will be much easier. Go here for directions: http://fnsweet.com/garage/lt_install/index.shtml Plan on two days to install or one LONG day.

2) You will need to put in some MIL eliminators or have your EEC flashed to get rid of the rear O2 sensors. Otherwise you're check engine light will come on. This is becuase Hooker's x-pipe has no cats.

3) Your car will run rich and smell like gas until you get it tuned to the headers. Very noticible after stopping or when idleing. After the tune I've had no more gas smell plus I gained 8 RWHP from the tune and flattened out my HP and TQ curves even more. Car's a major beast now...

4) Check out my website for pictures and sound clips: www.themustang.com

5) Get a good set of band clamps. I recommened the ones from www.thunderracing.com. They are 360 clamps and are 4 inches wide as opposed to the 1-2" clamps that hooker gives you. You'll need two 3" and one 2.5".

6) Use Ford OEM gaskets when installing the new headers. They are metal and won't ever leak. Hooker gives you paper gaskets that are hard to work with and can rip (as did mine) during install.

7) When you are done if your passenger side header rubs...raise the engine and realign. Mine was rubbing becuase of this. I unbolted the engine and jimmied it around a bit and actually got it to sit about 1/8" lower giving it plenty of room. You can even turn the engine a hair if need be. Easier than putting a washer in. :)

That's all I can think of your now...Any other questions don't hesitate to ask...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help matt, I think we're going to try to do it in one day, we have access to a lift so that might make things easier. Couple questions though, you said have your car tuned to the header??? I am going to put MIL eliminators in, will I still need to get it tuned or a chip, I live in Arkansas and being the crappy place that it is, there are no mustang tunners around, what would you suggest. Thanks though for all the rest, I went to your website and it looks like you and I have pretty much the same mods and your 1/4 mile time is right about what I want to run so hopefully these headers will help. Thanks again. Steve

·
Registered
203 Posts
CBudweiserC said:
Thanks for the help matt, I think we're going to try to do it in one day, we have access to a lift so that might make things easier. Couple questions though, you said have your car tuned to the header??? I am going to put MIL eliminators in, will I still need to get it tuned or a chip, I live in Arkansas and being the crappy place that it is, there are no mustang tunners around, what would you suggest. Thanks though for all the rest, I went to your website and it looks like you and I have pretty much the same mods and your 1/4 mile time is right about what I want to run so hopefully these headers will help. Thanks again. Steve
Well there are two benefits to a tune.

1) You can elminate the two rear cat sensors thus negating the need for MIL eliminators.

2) The LT Headers move the front O2 sensors down about two feet and thus they will read the exhaust gasses differently. Your car will run rich and you will smell gas when idling and stopping quickly. Getting your car tuned is just a added benefit and will greatly reduce this effect plus give you more power and torque. You don't have to do this. I just wanted to let you know what you are in for if you don't. A lot of people run like this forever. If a tuning is in your future (highly recommended) I would opt for www.fordchip.com (as they travel around the country and you may catch them somewhere near you).

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts