Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently spiceing up my 390 for next summer. Would like to get around 400hp out of the motor. It shouldn't be hard, stock it had 320hp. I believe the combo I will be useing will get me close. Has anyone built any FE's??? I'm going with a Comp 280H cam, Edelbrock Performer intake,MSD ignition, Headers to 2 1/2 duals, Demon 750.

·
Registered
408 Posts
ZO6
Sounds very similar to a project I am working on with my fathers 69 MACH 1. 390, C6 as well. We had put a 750 holley, full length headers and 2 1/2 dual exhaust all the way back. Sounded and ran great, until it decided to drop a valve. We are looking at going with edlebrocks aluminum heads and intake as well, undecided to this point on the cam, since we are still in the tear down phase. With a good set of forged pistons and a resonable streetable compression ratio, 400hp should be easily reachable. However, one thing to keep in mind on the older horsepower ratings, I think it was rated at gross horsepower, which was no accessories etc, which tended to increase the hp number a bit.

Good luck and let me know what you end up going with. You might be able to find a bit more info at www.ford-trucks.com. In the forum section there, there is a dedicated FE section, really knowledgable and helpful guys there

Later
Scott

·
Registered
20 Posts
I race an FE powered 67 mustang coupe and also have a 68 S code GT fasback with a 390. My race car has a 428CJ and makes 540 hp. All the engine specs are at my web site. You can also visit the FE forum at: http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/74182

·
Registered
102 Posts
Street Rodder Magazine had a good buildup article on the FE within the past year (they actually built three different versions).

More recently, Hot Rod Magazine had a buildup article on the FE. They were able to get an easy 450HP from a fairly basic refresh/rebuild. I don't know how long this link is good for, but today it'll still take you to the Hot Rod buildup article:

Hot Rod Article

·
Registered
933 Posts
This may sound dumb but was does FE stand for I dont know?

·
Registered
20 Posts
FE stands for Ford Edsel! Comes from the late 50's engine designe for these marks. 332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 427 and 428 cubic inch motors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts