Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a GT500 for sale locally with 6800 miles on it and I don't know much about that year, so I was wondering if there were any engine or drivetrain issues that a guy would be concerned about before buying one? Also, it has the regular headlights. Can you swap them out for those cool looking factory optional ones??

·
Registered
51 Posts
No issues. Just make sure you replace the crank damper from a 2008/2009 before you put a better blower on there. I had a 2008 and cranked the boost up and it ran great with no engine issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No issues. Just make sure you replace the crank damper from a 2008/2009 before you put a better blower on there. I had a 2008 and cranked the boost up and it ran great with no engine issues. Good luck.
Whats up with the damper? Is it OK if the engine is left stock?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Stock dampener is heavier on 2007 oil than all other years. Puts a lot of stress on crank snout when boost is cranked up. Ford even recommended changing to never style if putting ford racing (tvs) blower on car. If you keep stock you're fine. Just be aware when you get the itch for more HP you will need to replace it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Plan on an upgraded clutch as well sooner or later. There are plenty TSB's out regarding the stock 07-09 clutch's. Mine had the original up to 31K miles. Many don't get too lucky.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Swapped to the 13-14 GT500 clutch on my '07... MASSIVE improvement. Went through a McLeod first (lots of info that it was the "best") that thing rattled and drove like crap. More expensive and wasn't as good as the 13-14 stocker I have now.

Other than that the car hasn't had an issue. I also did the lighter dampner on the car before installing the Ford Racing TVS.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There's a 2007 for sale locally with 53k miles that seems priced right. I havent seen the car in person but it looks reasonably clean from pictures. The one constant thing I see wrong on a lot of these is the interior door leather trim starts to peel off after a while. What's the deal with that? Is there a remedy for this?

I feel like in general interior quality due to stuff peeling and plastics rattling has been a complaint of many. I just don't know how bad it is in reality and whether it's easy enough to fix or a constant headache to deal with. The cars are now 13 years old, so yeah... stuff will start to go wrong on them. It's just the reality I guess.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The leather inserts will all peel. Just a matter of time really.

The permanent fix is Weldwood Contact Cement.

I did mine three years ago and it's still perfect.

There aren't rattles that are as bad as say a Fox body, but yeah the plastics sometimes develop squeaks and occasional rattles.

Mine doesn't rattle at all now, the only thing I've had so far is right in the corner of the dash where it meets the A-Pillar. It vibrated/rattled. Found some foam, stuck it in there and haven't had a problem since.

I like the interior, but I know that the newer cars have nicer interiors for sure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The leather inserts will all peel. Just a matter of time really.

The permanent fix is Weldwood Contact Cement.

I did mine three years ago and it's still perfect.

There aren't rattles that are as bad as say a Fox body, but yeah the plastics sometimes develop squeaks and occasional rattles.

Mine doesn't rattle at all now, the only thing I've had so far is right in the corner of the dash where it meets the A-Pillar. It vibrated/rattled. Found some foam, stuck it in there and haven't had a problem since.

I like the interior, but I know that the newer cars have nicer interiors for sure.
Nice! Thanks for the tips on the cement. Good to know for sure as I can probably use it on my sn95 as well. Appreciate that tip for sure.

What year is your car and how many miles?! How is it holding up overall?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts