Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of Magna-Flows and was one of those cars that got the 2100 rpm drone. I bought them from Houston Performance , had them on the car for less than a week and will be selling them soon. Next pair I want to make sure does not drone.

Any help would be appreciated.
Marc

·
Registered
35 Posts
Basically, ive heard just about all the aftermarket exhaust systems and they all have Some drone. My bassani is loud as sh*t and i love it --could care less about drone. Only one note on my Bassani cat- back, i have the baffles out (threw them in the trash the first day BTW) and you could leave them in and that would reduce drone and still have a great sounding exhaust system with a good HP gain. FYI-i had my car on the dyno afterwards and w/ K&N and bassani cat-back i got 14 HP. Also bought mine from Houston Performance , they have the best price and are good guys. Hope it helps.:p

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Marc97GT,
As you know, I have the Mac offroad "H" with hi-flo cats welded in and the Borla catback and don't notice any real drone. I hack saw'd my 2 chamber dronemasters off the car cause they were notorious for giving me a headache and droning. The borla's are straight through muffler vs chambered... just something to consider.

Tim

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just got my Magnaflow a week ago after a long year with Flows, and no drone.....I guess if you havn't run Flows, you don't know what drone really is!?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I found the best deal for my Borla cat back from Summit. They even had a better price than Steve at Houston Performance. No drone either and beautiful quality.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Funny, my Borla cat back drones at about 3000 rpm in third or second, mostly when going downhill. But I love it. I'm putting on my Bassani x in a few weeks, and it should sound louder. The borla sure as hell does sound nice when droning or not, and a great investment.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I am yet to hear a 2 1/2" aftermarket cat back that does not drone by my defination of what drone is. Others hear it differently, and some like it loud. It is definately a subjective thing.
To me, my Bassani 2 1/2" catback drones bad around 2200, less with baffles in.
To me you have 2 choices. Either go back to 2 1/4" stock system (you won't lose power going back to stock system on near stock car), or run low gears like 4.10's so you cruise above the drone RPM.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. I had to buy a set of cat-backs out of a 2002 because I cut the 97 OEM's off. Who da thunk the Magnaflows would drone.

I have a few mods on the car, Vortech, SVO heads, Bassani X with Cats, 3:73 gears. Some cars just get the nice throaty sound, others like mine get the throaty sound and the drone. I had a headache after driving for 20 miles.

Tim, I will look into the Borlas. I also spoke with Steeda today. They said they have Borla make them a special set that drones less than the stock Borla. Theirs is for a 99 and up. They don't make a set for the 96-97 cars. I could probably use it because I am running a 2002 set now.
Marc

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bassani X-Pipe

I like to ask if you are running Smog Pump with that Bassani Catted X-Pipe? I hear so many people say you do not have to run the pump and it will not hurt the cats at all. One guy said his cats only last him 2 year and they clogged up on his really bad. Just trying to get some input, Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Walker makes a replacement cat back that is basically OEM. I have been thru countless catbacks. They all drone. Go with the walker and you will be happy. I actually enjoy driving the car again.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Lock this thing up, please, haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts