Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a convertible with Hooker longtube headers? I just ordered some Hooker L/T's and the matching X for my 98 'vert, and I would like to know if the L/T's hit the brace (convertible only). Does anyone have experience with L/T's on a 'vert, and are there any clearance issues?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ditching the brace is an option, but i'd defnitely try to keep it in tact. Keep in mind that our model stangs (SN95) sit very low. The brace gives the oil pan somewhat protection. I have coil overs and lowered the front a bit more than usual. The brace gets its share of scrapes and sparks.

·
Banned
359 Posts
The hooker headers and x pipe clear the convertible x brace with out a problem on my 01 Cobra. The passanger side header actually hit the stock k-member in one spot so I had to modifiy it ever so slightly with a long crow bar.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 1997 cobra vert with long tubes. My brace is still installed. It came really really close to the driver side header, so while it was out, I put a few washers in between the brace and the car to give myself another 1/8 inch clearance or so. Works fine for me. Can't say much about the Hooker headers though since mine are BBK's.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey, I got a 99 vert with BBK long tubes. Second day after installing them, I heard rattles and vibes. The X brace was touching the driver side long tubes. I pulled the X brace off for now. The brace started cutting into one of the tubes, ruined the finish :mad: I touched it up. I was thinking of sending it to a body shop to have that arm off of the X brace warped to fit again. The washer idea mentioned above sounds like a nice alternative though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts