Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2002 V6 for 7 years and it runs really good. Seen a black 2006 V6 and I'm afraid to buy it. I'm mechanically inclined and my 2002 is easy to work on. I will kick myself if I do the wrong thing. The car is 2 hours away for $ 3,500 140,000 miles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ford's 4.0L SOHC V6 has timing chains in the front and rear of the engine and not just in the front like most OHC motors. What this means is that the engine typically has the be removed from the vehicle when replacing timing chains and guides. This makes the cost of this repair quite expensive running around $2k-$3k and is usually required between 100k and 200k miles. It isn't a matter of if, but when, this will happen. The second is the five speed auto transmissions in 2005-2010 Mustangs are not the most reliable. One problem is servo bore wear due to Ford using the transmission case for the bore lining and not a proper sleeve. The odds of a transmission rebuild is highly likely as the miles rack up over 100k. This would be a $2k-$3k bill to handle.

If you want to hedge your bets then buy a GT with a manual transmission. The 4.6L 3V is a very reliable engine and the manual transmissions are also very reliable. Should it ever need the timing chains and guides replaced then it is a much cheaper repair since all the parts are located on the front of the engine. Also, in the rare case the manual goes out, it is much cheaper (and much more reliable being a manual) to buy and install a used five speed manual than rebuilding an auto. A clutch replacement isn't all that expensive either at around $500-$700.

If you can do all the work yourself then you might be good getting a V6. In any case, I would avoid the auto transmission cars.

·
Registered
2006 Ford Mustang GT
2,900 Posts
Seen a black 2006 V6 and I'm afraid to buy it. The car is 2 hours away for $ 3,500 140,000 miles.
Yeah it's at a ticking time bomb mileage where major mechanical repairs like those mentioned are almost inevitable in the near future. I also don't think it's a big enough upgrade over your 2002 V6 to make it worth a punt.
I suggest you wait until you can afford a better car. A manual 05-09 GT with less than 100k miles would be a good choice if your budget won't stretch far enough to get an 11-14 V6 or GT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah it's at a ticking time bomb mileage where major mechanical repairs like those mentioned are almost inevitable in the near future. I also don't think it's a big enough upgrade over your 2002 V6 to make it worth a punt.
I suggest you wait until you can afford a better car. A manual 05-09 GT with less than 100k miles would be a good choice if your budget won't stretch far enough to get an 11-14 V6 or GT.
Its very hard to get rid of the car I have because it's been good. We work on our own cars and this car reminds me of the older cars I had. I think I'm going for that old style look. But maybe I better not. Lol I did see the 2011 or 2012's, the V6 with the 305. What a difference from my V6. Lol Thank you for your honest reply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ford's 4.0L SOHC V6 has timing chains in the front and rear of the engine and not just in the front like most OHC motors. What this means is that the engine typically has the be removed from the vehicle when replacing timing chains and guides. This makes the cost of this repair quite expensive running around $2k-$3k and is usually required between 100k and 200k miles. It isn't a matter of if, but when, this will happen. The second is the five speed auto transmissions in 2005-2010 Mustangs are not the most reliable. One problem is servo bore wear due to Ford using the transmission case for the bore lining and not a proper sleeve. The odds of a transmission rebuild is highly likely as the miles rack up over 100k. This would be a $2k-$3k bill to handle.

If you want to hedge your bets then buy a GT with a manual transmission. The 4.6L 3V is a very reliable engine and the manual transmissions are also very reliable. Should it ever need the timing chains and guides replaced then it is a much cheaper repair since all the parts are located on the front of the engine. Also, in the rare case the manual goes out, it is much cheaper (and much more reliable being a manual) to buy and install a used five speed manual than rebuilding an auto. A clutch replacement isn't all that expensive either at around $500-$700.

If you can do all the work yourself then you might be good getting a V6. In any case, I would avoid the auto transmission cars.
What the heck! Why? Lol I mean the mean the timing chain. Lol See that's the stuff I don't like. Well maybe I will hold onto my old car. I really can't splurge too much. Maybe I'll keep the car that's been good by me and easy to work on. I just got the itch. Lol I like the old school look. Lol Thank you for your honesty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
In this case I think it is better to go with the devil you know. The pushrod engine in your 2002 is very easy to work on and doesn't have a whole lot of gremlins. Ford has used the 4.0L SOHC V6s in a lot of vehicles and the reliability results are the same for all of them. The 3.5L V6s used in so many front wheel drive cars from around 2007 to 2019 have an even worse flaw. They have internal water pumps that dump the coolant into the crankcase when the pump goes bad. Most times this destroys the engine and repair costs run around $6k-$7k or more to replace the motor. Luckily, the 3.5L V6s in the Ford F150 and Mustang have external water pumps due to them being rear wheel drive. Ford has been fighting a class action lawsuit over this design flaw for quite a while but I think it has been ruled on recently mostly in Ford's favor. If you really want to hedge your bets then get a 2011-2014 V6. The drive trains for these models are quite reliable. Even the auto transmissions are reliable. The 3.5L V6 is a very stout and reliable engine when the water pumps are externally mounted like they are in the Mustang and F150.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.