Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it the heater core??? Any info on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated. Also, an estimated cost to fix?

Thanks to those that reply!

·
Registered
14 Posts
sounds like heater core to me, but let me ask you some questions first. is the inside of your winsheld greasey? if you open your hood and on the pas. side on the fire wall down towards the bottom there is a black drain.. is there antifreaze dripping out of the hole?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Opps!!! Sorry, it didn't show me any replies!

Ok, there is no greasy film on my inner wind shield. I haven't noticed any leaks in my driveway, so I don't think I'm leaking any anti-freeze.

Here is the scoop. I bought the car about a week ago. I got the oil changed and there was not a drop of anti freeze in the bottle, but on the way home from buying it, there was a strong anti-freeze odor. I had it filled when I changed the oil, and it has basicaly stayed at the same level for the past few days.

Also, there is a little smoke coming through the vents. Not a lot, but enough to where I can see it in the sun light. It looks almost white, not dark in color.

Thanks so much for replying, I have no clue what the hell it could be!

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you have smoke coming from the vents it is the heater core....the heater core only costs around 25 dollars, but if you pay someone to do it will cost you around 300 dollars:eek: but you can do it yourself its not that bad just time consuming. if you have anymore questions just let me know.. i have done the heater like 6 times in different stangs

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch! I know more about Nuclear Physics (And that would be a big fat ZERO) then I do about the inner workings of a Motor.

Could you tell me where in/on the motor (5.0 HO) it is located? And maybe a good book or web sight that would help me in doing this?

Again, very cool of you to be helping me out here. Thanks again, very much!

·
Registered
14 Posts
go to a auto parts store and get a manual for 87-93 mustangs.. the heater core is behind the dash on the pass side, so you have to take the dash out to get to it. i wish you lived closer to me because i would do it for you ;) . im very bored im layed off for the winter and have nothing to do:( .....steve

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a 89 LX daily driver it has a bad heater core and I have been dreading doing it. Any tips....I read the manual and it says I gotta take out the dash and center console, sounds like fun!!!:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
the only tip i have for you is to take your time and try to remember where the screws go, and to plan on it taking the hole day sence you have never done it before....steve

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I did some searching on the net, and i went to yahoo.com and typed in "mustang heater cores." There were a few really good step by step heater core replacement pages. They showed pictures and everything! For all those that apply, I would recomend doing the same.

3 hours? I am praying that I can get it done by Spring!!! If the Ozone layer depletes by some 20%.....you'll know why.:D

·
Registered
651 Posts
I just got my car back in Oct/Nov and the guy i bought it from said he had just replaced the heater core. I sometimes smell the coolant when I turn on the heater. Would this be the same thing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you dont have time to fix your heater core you can simply by pass it as well. i had to do this to my car. it is not smart to drive your car with a bad core because eventully it will burst and the coolent will spill out faster than you will think. any way to by pass the core go inside the engin bay and look at the lower intake by the passenger side. you will se two brass lines running under the fuel rails. these are the coolent lines. at the end you will see the lines turn to hoses which run up the the fire wall near the top. pull the hoses from the heater core and fabracate a pipe system to join the two hoses so they flow togather. the two hoses are different sizes so the hard job is getting plumbing to fit snug enough into each hose so there is no leaks. this is my .02 cents on the matter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But will the heater still work, but even if it wont....I'm all for that!! Cheap and easy!!

Thanks for the input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts