Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62873

Legislation (H.B. 1252) that would allow cities to remove inoperable vehicles from private property if the vehicle is deemed a “nuisance” under a local ordinance has been introduced in the Arkansas State Legislature. The bill will be considered by the Arkansas House Committee on City, County and Local Affairs on Wed., Feb. 2, 2011.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the Arkansas House Committee on City, County and Local Affairs (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 1252

For those interested in attending the hearing to voice opposition, the Committee will meet on Wed., Feb. 2 at 10:00 a.m. at the following address:

Room B, Mac Building
1 Capitol Mall
Little Rock, Arkansas 72201

-H.B. 1252 provides no reasonable safeguards for legitimate automotive hobbyists that choose to work on inoperable collector vehicles on private property.

-H.B. 1252 could outlaw the repair or modification of certain motor vehicles that are undergoing restoration.

-H.B. 1252 could outlaw the maintenance of parts cars for motor vehicles undergoing restoration.
-H.B. 1252 establishes no provisions that would enable vehicles located out of public view to avoid being classified as abandoned.

DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Arkansas House Committee on City, County and Local Affairs immediately to request their opposition to H.B. 1252.

Please e-mail a copy of your letters to Steve McDonald at [email protected]

Arkansas House Committee on City, County and Local Affairs

Representative Charolette Wagner - Chair
Phone: 870/561-4600
Email: [email protected]

Representative Jane English - Vice Chair
Phone: 501/257-7670

Representative Toni Bradford
Phone: 870/879-5270

Representative Tommy Lee Baker
Phone: 870/563-8277

Representative Kathy Webb
Phone: 501/258-1949

Representative Davy Carter
Phone: 501/605-1346

Representative Tracy Steele
Phone: 501/374-8788

Representative Denny Altes
Phone: 479/646-8981

Representative Linda Collins-Smith
Phone: 870/378-1434

Representative Jon S. Eubanks
Phone: 479/438-0533

Representative David L. Branscum
Phone: 870/448-2408

Representative Sheilla E. Lampkin
Phone: 870/723-6449

Representative Jeremy Gillam
Phone: 501/729-0042

Representative Andy Mayberry
Phone: 501/888-3522

Representative Betty Overbey
Phone: 479/885-6479

Representative Josh Johnston
Phone: 501/556-1951

Representative David Fielding
Phone: 870/234-6143

Representative Nate Bell
Phone: 479/394-5665

Representative Tommy Thompson
Phone: 501/208-2007

Representative Leslee Milam Post
Phone: 479/518-0331

·
Registered
187 Posts
There ain't that many tow trucks in Arkansas. They'd have to call in help from Texas, Louisana, and Oklahoma. Still iffy.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
You know how you can tell a rich boy in Arkansas? He has two cars jacked up in his front yard! :)

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
sounds fair to me, if you're gonna have a broken down car as an eyesore on the lawn somebody's gotta get rid of it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I just read the bill and it doesn't seem to be invasive or intrusive at all. It looks as if they are attempting to address the problem of empty swimming pools collecting water, excessive rubbish that attracts rodents and abandoned motor vehicles that are a blight on the community. Our city has much tighter restrictions than this and nobody down here is complaining. We're just glad there's not a ton of abandoned cars sitting around for years. :)

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I don't think SEMA has any problem at all with legislation ordering the removal of ABANDONED cars. The problem with a bill such as this comes from the better-than-yous pushing it beyond it's original meaning and trying to get your car hauled off during a motor swap or rebuild.

I know people around here get their panties in a wad about retarded things all the time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think SEMA has any problem at all with legislation ordering the removal of ABANDONED cars. The problem with a bill such as this comes from the better-than-yous pushing it beyond it's original meaning and trying to get your car hauled off during a motor swap or rebuild.

I know people around here get their panties in a wad about retarded things all the time.
That is precisely the point. We know that enthusiasts don't have 18 hours a day to work on their cars or complete their restoration projects. Detailed projects take time. With this type of legislation, all it takes is one nosy or irritating passer-by or neighbor to say, "I don't like that rusted out '39 Ford in his driveway. It's ugly. I'm calling the county," and a man's lifelong project is derailed for good.

sounds fair to me, if you're gonna have a broken down car as an eyesore on the lawn somebody's gotta get rid of it.
Sure, we don't want eyesores either. We know it could be rather unappealing to see a jaloppy sitting in someone's front yard with vegitation growing out of it. That's why we have an alertnative. SAN has model legislation that addresses this problem all while protecting the rights of enthusiasts. That compromise is far better than this type of outright attack.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Or maybe they could be somebody just like me who is taking care of a terminally ill family member?

Somebody who has put up all their stuff because family comes before cars?

Somebody who paid good money for their cars / projects and will get back to them when that family member eventually dies?

Step on my property and take something I worked my ass off to have and take it without asking?

I believe that is called theft.

My house doesn't look like a junk yard but sometimes the grass goes uncut for longer than I'd like during the Summer.

But since my terminally ill Parent doesn't have an "Off Switch" I can only try to keep things looking decent. I don't always succeed.

Some people don't live a charmed life and don't get to do as they please.

Luckily I have good neighbors who know and understand my problem.

EDIT: I have been acting as a Primary Caregiver for 5 years, 8 months, and 19 days. Life sucks, generally speaking.
Exactly one of the situations I mentioned. KPSVO, sorry to hear about your parent, but I'm glad to see you're stepping in. Hat's off to you.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
thumbs down for eyesore cars.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts