Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want the hassle of modifying anything. I just want something that will bolt up. I'm not looking for a project right now. I have a 130A 3G alternator. I don't want to go with another regular fan b/c mine already hits the shroud.

So any reccomendations on a elec. fan., direct bolt on?

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
ANy one that bolts in is gonna suck. You can go with a Ramcharger setup, but my understanding is that fan uses the stock shroud and you kinda don't have one!:D

Just do it right and get an SN95 or Mark VIII fan. Easy to wire and mount if you are creative

·
Registered
298 Posts
Dave, that ramchargers fan is an easy drop in. It uses its own shroud. I'd use that in place of the MKVIII, but... Run a search.

BTW, anything that works will require a little dicking around with.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Black Magic was an easy bolt in.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Unless you live in raghead Afghanistan, the Black Magic electric fan setup is plenty. Granted supercharged and stroker combinations oftentimes need extra airflow than what is provided by the Black Magic. However, the Black Magic flows more than enough for a strong n/a combo. The problems which arise from the Black Magic fan are usually caused by the use of the stock alternator. Since you have upgraded to the 130 amp 3G alternator, you will have no problems. I am using the Black Magic on my daily driven coupe, hot SoCal weather (it has been in the 90s all week here), I have no problems at all.
Chris

·
Registered
862 Posts
I just put one in from a 01 GT, just used a trans. cooler mounting kit, wired it up..bammmmmmm done

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Coupester said:
hot SoCal weather (it has been in the 90s all week here), I have no problems at all.
Chris
Ummm, I'll have to slightly disagree ;)
90's here this week are a joke compared to 90's else where (ie. Texas, Louisianna, Florida)....this is spring weather in those states. I do know the Black Magic fan would not even begin to cool my blown combo. So like he said it should be fine n/a but if you plan to go blown I'd look for more flow.

·
Registered
246 Posts
you might want to look at perma cool. im not sure what everybodys opinions are on that, but they look decent. thats what i was looking into. they flow 2100-2950cfm i beleive. and there like 87 bucks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
dave, what do you mean your fan is hitting the shroud? could it be your motor mounts are trashed and sagging to the point where you stock fan is hitting? if so first things first. replace those mounts. then see whats up!

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
91_5.0GT said:
dave, what do you mean your fan is hitting the shroud? could it be your motor mounts are trashed and sagging to the point where you stock fan is hitting? if so first things first. replace those mounts. then see whats up!
He just did! He put DROP motor mounts in

·
Registered
713 Posts
unless ramchargers set me the wrong fan, its not a direct bolt on.
it took some inginuity to install it, i thought. but 79$ fan 2340cfm
17$ fan thermastat advance auto, 5$ 30amp relay advance
some wire, made some brackets from the hardware store 7$.

seems to flow ok, but not impressive. cars not running yet
but i bet it stays cool. id get the markIII fan, i really needed to
save some money so i didnt buy the markIII. but im not disapointed with the ram chargers fan either.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
SPAL fans work excellent. I have never had any problems.

·
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mustang5L5 said:

He just did! He put DROP motor mounts in
Yep...3/4" drop mounts. Hit's the bottom of the shroud, so I "fixed" it :D

I'd post a pic, but my pic hosting site is down. In other words, I pretty much trashed/hacked it up with some wire cutters on each blade to get it to fit.

I MAY just get a regular clutch driven one for now to save some hassle...Feel free to comment on the ones summit sells on those as well...

MAT88GT reccomended a SPAL fan to me as well. Easy to put in?

Ramchargers: Not looking for inginuity at this time, I finally got my car running AGAIN today, got my 130A alternator in...Gonna order some gauges now, so I'm gonnna get a fan while I'm at it.

·
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK I need to clarify a couple things. I'm in Germany, I can't run down to a boneyard to grab anything, unless it's off a BMW :D

I'm likeing this SPAL dual 11" setup...2780 CFM.

Although, I've heard lots of good about the Mark 8 fan as well. But trimming the shroud? Ugh. Me and shrouds don't get along too well.

I'm even considering just buying a new mechanical fan or something, hell, I dunno. I'm getting annoyed though :). I'm not enjoying my car right now.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Fisher said:
Dave,
Do not use a Black Magic fan.

Go ask around on the other board. They are junk.
I'll second that!

The Black Magic wouldn't cool my NA 302(290rwhp) even with a Fluidynn radiator, an Edelbrock victor water pump and a 180* thermostat.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about the Mark 8 fan. Unless its been changed, Ford sells them brand new for like $90. I live in Georgia, and its starting to get hot here and sitting at a light in traffic with the AC on, the needle goes up to half way and then the car feels like a slug. Once I get the PA 130a alternator, ill probably go with the Mark 8.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I've seen the dual SPAL setup at the store. It looks awesome, especially with the built in shroud setup. I have the single 16 inch and it works great. No problems to install, especially with the mounting brackets you can buy for it. Also, plenty of clearance, even with my 3 row radiator, 408, and cogged blower pullies.

Who does free photo hosting now so I can post some pics?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts