Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search button but did not find enough info. I have had my car for a week and the stock exhaust has to go. I want a deep loud sound and have decided to get a prochamber. I now need to decide on the catback. I do not like the sound of either magnaflow kits, so I am looking at flowmaster american thunder or mac catbacks. I love the flowmaster sound and can deal with the drone. How does the mac sound compare to it?

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked there and there are only a couple of clips that have the combos I mentioned above. I just need to know how the flowmaster at and mac catbacks compare in quality. They sounded very similar, but it is hard to tell from a sound clip.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Mac Flowpaths are the Best sounding Mustang mufflers I have heard so far.

The only reason I am going with Magnapacks is I want a 2.5" stainless steel cat-back to free up some extra power, the Mac cat-back is only HTS aluminized.

My stock stainles steel cat-back has welded in stainless steel Mac Flowpaths, but that is only 2.25" - sounds awesome though.

They will be missed I am sure.

Howard

If you are interested maybe I can ship you my Old set-up after I receive my Magnapacks in about a week.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like both mufflers, but the mac does not have the 3" tips, atleast not that I have found. As far as having stainless, I live in the south so that is not all that important. I am more concerned with who has the better quality, flowmaster or mac as far as catbacks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would like to hear a sound clip of the Mac catback/mufflers WITHOUT the Mac-prochamber. Just to hear what it sounds like.

The clips on Mustangexhaust.com only have combos with the pro-chamber.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Black2K1.. as far as quality goes, the flowmaster setup would be better. i had a MAC catback on my 98GT and the HTS coating was coming off after about 6 months. then it is bare aluminum that started to rust.. the sound was great though.. very deep and powerful. i now have a borla/ x-pipe setup on my 02GT and am thinking about switching to the old faithful (h-pipe & flows). i also noticed you live in raleigh too.. do you ever go to benson or piedmont??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I FedEX guy brought my Flowmaster AT catback today. The big brown truck will bring the prochamber on friday.

onequick98gt, no I have not been to benson or peidmont, yet. I know about benson, but have never heard of peidmont. I have only had my car a couple of weeks and I work all the time so I have not had a chance to really have fun with it yet. I'm sure that will change when this exhaust goes on this weekend, if the weather allows for the install.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I wish I knew how, if you live in the PA, NJ, area I'd be glad to let you hear it in person.

I will post some opinions as soon as I hear it, especially compared to my Macs which I think sound great.

Howard

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The Macs sound great, but they are not available in an all stainless steel cat-back, only aluminized. I currently have stainless Mac mufflers welded in to my stock stainless 2.25" cat-back.

I want an all stainless 2&1/2" exhaust, with the straight thru design coupled with the upgrade from 2&1/4 to 2&1/2 it might be worth 5-10rwhp.

Hopefully the Magnapacks will sound as great as the Macs, I hear good things about them.

Howard

·
Registered
137 Posts
if you go for all out hp then you can get a few extra ones with a magnapack and tru-x pipe. Gained much more when I threw out the bassani mid pipe and flows (much more-well maybe 5-10 hp) The gains on the packs is excellent under the curve. If you want sound then get a H pipe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts