Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just can't take it any more. My throwout bearing on my car exploded (literally) and ever since then, my car has made this annoying noise. I'll describe what I've done and what it does.
Ok, I replaced the throwout bearing with a heavy duty one and had a Centerforce clutch and pressure plate and rear main seal all put on at the same time (might as well upgrade while you're in there huh?). The pedal starting vibrating mildly at first and after a while it started bouncing. Let me describe that. When the clutch pedal is fully released, the pedal bounces about 1/4 of an inch up and down producing this really bad noise. Ok, so here's what I did to solve that. I bought a Steeda adjustable clutch cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster (that'll show it who's the boss right?). Wrong. Well, I can make the pedal stop vibrating (badly not entirely) but now there is this little ticking noise (imagine a pick hitting a metal bell [metal to metal noise]). It is a fast noise. Probably along the lines of about 2 ticks a second. This noise is loud enough to hear in or out of the car very easily. I know if I push the clutch pedal in about an 1.5 inches it will stop or if I adjust the firewall adjuster (makes cable longer or shorter) it will quiet down. I don't know what to do and it's driving me mad. Any advice or solutions?

I X L
95 Cobra hardtop convertible

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interesting, my 94 GT has a simliar problem. I have not replaced the throwout bearing yet but I am experiencing what sounds like the same ticking you hear with the clutch pedal released. And, yes, my ticking goes away when I press the pedal in a couple inches.

I have no vibrations in mine, but it seems like something in your clutch assembly isn't spinning square with the input shaft (causing some kind of pulse/vibration). I don't know if there is a difference between GT and Cobra T5s but have a look at Hanlon Motorsports' pictures of a stock T5 bearing retainer (it's chewed to hell). so maybe there is an issue with your transmission.

I think doing a search of the forum archives would help too; a lot of people have similar clutch problems.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Did you get the flywheel turned or replaced when you did the clutch? Could be warped causing the vibration.
As for the ticking, it almost sounds like the TO bearing.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I would think warped fly wheel, my pilot bearing loves to sing along but it doesnt tick

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I just noticed 2 nights ago that mine may be doing the same thing. A tin-like metallic "tinking" coming from under the car. I can hear it inside the car. I push in the clutch and the sound quiets down.

I attributed it to the cold weather, since my car hasn't experienced these Illinois winter temperatures yet (just transferred from Virginia).

I've never heard it make this sound before.

I haven't driven it since it's been doing it, just idling it in the garage. I should take it out for a spin and see if I can work it out.

IJ

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hmm speaking of strange noises from the transmission area, I have one to share. When the car is driven normaly around town, no hard acceleration ect.. It is perfectlt quiet. But if I drive it for a long time on the interstate or a lot of heavy hammering down it begins to make noise. With it in gear usually overdrive, guess its quiet enough to hear anything other then exhaust, it makes a nosie like a slide, click slide click on metal sound. over and over it does this. The nosie last untill the car sits for a while to return back to outside temperatures. I think its kind of wierd anyone have anything similar?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I did not have the flywheel turned when I replaced all the stuff. When it went out it had about 65000 miles on it and the guy who replaced it for me said it was in pretty good shape. He races a 67 Mustang and tears it apart every month for maintainance. So, I'm thinking he understands what he's doing. He's also a friend so he was probably being pretty honest. All I know is that noise is driving me crazy. There is a new part to this story as well. Recently, it stopped ticking for a few minutes and then restarted. Now, it stops every now and then. This thing has me confused.

I X L
95 Cobra hardtop convertible

·
Registered
668 Posts
Is it possible that the bouncing pedal is caused by too much slack in the clutch cable? My car does this as well...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts