Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve been contemplating this for a couple years now and don’t know if its wise to switch setups with my current engine combo. Car is mostly street driven. A change in drivability isn’t a concern, what I really would like to know is....will changing setups help a little or drastically hurt it on the TRACK?

Current setup is an N/A 302 with a T5 and a 26x10.5 slick. I’m worried a light assembly will kill rpm and power on launch.

Current clutch setup is a steel flywheel, super king cobra diaphragm and a Ram 6000 6-puck. The disk is shot and both flywheel & PP warped anyway so it’s time to decide.
(Weights according to manufactures)
Flywheel - 21lbs
Pressure P - 17.5lbs
Disk - 4.8lbs (I do have a 4000g scale and this is accurate)

So in total 43.3lbs

Here is what I am considering:

Fidanza aluminum flywheel, quartermaster 10.5” aluminum diaphragm, and the same Ram 6-puck
(Weights according to manufacturers)
Flywheel - 11lbs (w/out counterweights I’m assuming)
Pressure P - 10lbs
Disk - 4.8lbs

So in total w/50oz counterweight = 28.3lbs which is 15lbs lighter.
Total cost would be around $1,100

For only around $1,200 I could get into a SPEC mini twin with flywheel. Plus it has an adjustable counterweight so it could be reused when I change engine balance & move to a clutchless.
SPEC doesn’t specify weight but I seen it mentioned the entire setups are around 22lbs.

There’s also (2) 10.5 diaphragm setups from COBRA AUTOMOTIVE they claim only weigh 22.5lbs and one with a kevlar disk at 21lbs total with flywheel. They don’t specify if it’s for 50oz balance though. But the one is only $840!

Sorry for all the details but I just can’t find any other threads of someone with a similar engine combo as me changing to more than just an aluminum flywheel.

THANX!

·
Old timer
6,565 Posts
T5 transmission?

Light pressure plate assembly, shims and a 10 inch rag disc.

Slippage is your T5's best friend.

Reactions: 65fasback

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I went Ram Clutches 2525 aluminum flywheel and 98794 pressure-plate/disc kit.

It’s all sitting in the shop, I just haven't installed it yet, but @Rock4451 said he was more than happy with his aluminum flywheel combo and only had one regret - not installing an aluminum pressure plate. Which it’s too late for me now, I’ll install what I have soon.

·
Old timer
6,565 Posts

Reactions: LilRed86

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,164 Posts
If you want to stay with a diaphragm clutch what Ed posted can work exceptionally well.

Those did not exist when I purchased my set up. Everything was a long style pressure plate. You either went with some thing from Tim Hyatt or Rob Youngblood like I used if you were paying attention to the guys drag racing on the UMTR (United manual transmission racers) North site.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Mine isn't a drag car, but I used the Fidanza external balance aluminum flywheel and a Dual Friction clutch in my '86 Gt. It takes some getting used to from dead stops, but the revs and RPMs climb a bunch faster. Great for my A/X and open track events.

·
Old timer
6,565 Posts
What you need when you build a 1600 HP Drag Week combination.... with a stick. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sorry for the delayed responses, haven’t had WiFi for awhile.

I appreciate everyone’s input. A variety of suggestions.

I’ve had surprisingly good luck with a 6-puck, but traction is nominal at my local track so it’s not as brutal. Mostly I was getting sick of 3rd & 4th gear slippage with dual friction style disks soon as they got hot on the street with nitrous

I probably should have originally used a sintered iron disk with shimming but again was trying to eliminate maintenance at the time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ed,
According to ACE’s website they don’t list the PowerForce line in a single disk. Or do they?
Only the NexGen is listed with a 10” single all aluminum at 29lbs and $2400. Little outta my price range.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Oops. I guess they do make a single disk in PowerForce but don’t list a price.
Triples are 40lbs, twins are 36lbs and $1780. Mabey a single is 32lbs or less and $1500? Might be a winner.

Does anyone know of any other brands besides ACE that have an all billet, single 10-10.5” 30lbs or less total and around $1500? Kinda t*t for tat but that would be my best case scenario.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here it is. I set it free to see the light of day once again last night.
Do you know what the total weight and cost of your setup was?
Just checked them out, they make some very nice stuff 👍

·
Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,164 Posts
Do you know what the total weight and cost of your setup was?
Just checked them out, they make some very nice stuff 👍
from memory the fly wheel was nine pounds . the rest of the weights I do not remember . the price was north of twelve hundred dollars way back when I bought it . you would have to contact Rob Youngblood at advanced clutches to get the current prices and weights

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've used the RAM alu flywheel + pressure plate for 5-6 years on a neutral balance 347. Actually, the flywhhel has been on for 15 years or so. First off with an organic type plate, and now with a Powergrip 900 (metallic) plate w/ the alu pressure plate. It's been working really well for street/ strip and track, btw. I have a lighter veichle (2400 lbs w/ driver), and the metallic plate might be a bit fiddly with a more massive car...

Reactions: ndmp40
1 - 20 of 20 Posts