Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My third alternator just stopped working. I think I remember reading somewhere that this isn't an uncommon problem. Although I've searched the archives, I can't come up with any relevant threads.

Anyone have any ideas about why I'm having to replace alternators? Is this a common problem with a known fix? I'm using stock alternators, underdrive pulleys and a modest (150 watts, 4 speakers and sub) stereo. I do a lot of city driving.

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi,
I went thru 5 alternators in my 87GT and could not figure out what the hell was going on. I had the car for maybe 18 months and every couple months it would just go out. Turned out one wire was rubbed thru and was causing a short. Right where it goes thru the firewall into the car. Check all the wiring, trace the wires from the alternator back to the firewall and see if you have a live wire anywhere.
Let me know if you find anything.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've gone thru 5 in the last 3 years, this being the stock crap alternators. I've had the bearings and brushes go on seperate occasions, i even rebuilt one with the parts store rebuild kit, it lasted exactly 1 year to the day. The final straw came a few months ago, i merged onto the highway, hammered it and there was this "POP" sound. Thats when the batt gauge dropped to nil, about 6 blocks from my house i notice smoke pouring from under the car. I dont have a fire extinguisher in my car so i ripped home, got an extinguisher and hosed off the alternator (it didnt go out till i unhooked the ground). The alt was so fried i couldnt tell what happened although it looks like it started at the regulator. So i replaced it under warranty, and guess what? That one lasted 2 days before it siezed up! The parts guy says next time he'll give me a deal on an SN-95 type alt but i'm still choked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts