Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Start the car the other night, and here that nasty squeeling sound, and then smoke. This is in my 95 GT. Today I took the belt off and spun everything. The alternator felt like its was catching something while it was spinning. I started it up w/o the belt for a minute to check the accesories. Well when there is a load on the alternator, it seizes, shut the car off and it spins, but doesn't spin right. The belt is not tight at all. The powersteering pump seems alittle tight to spin too, but not sure if thats how it's suppossed to be. Six months ago the smog pump seized so I bypassed it, could this have something to do with it? I changed the alternator at that time also with one from PepperBoys. Think it could just be a bad alternator?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found my problem, when took the alternator off, two of the bolts that hold the case together were really loose. When I tightened them up the alternator spun freely. Problem solved with the help of alittle loc-tite. Not sure on the belt size, I do remember that the next size up was too loose, and the next size down was too tight.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nice quality control on that PepperBoy alternator eh? The best 5 cent an hour labor that korea can provide I bet!

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Just Remember, get either a NAPA or a Powermaster alternator if it goes. Pep Boys, O'Reilly's, Auto Zone, etc. They all suck when it comes to Electrical Replacement parts. Powermaster(you can buy them in SUMMIT) or Napa are the only guys that sell Quality products that last.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts