Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 GT that I believe the alt is going bad on. I need a higher amp model anyway as my stereo puts a strain on it (stock seems to suck anyway, 80 amp is it?).

I did the 3G conversion years ago on another fox, but is that about the only cheap-ish option? Auto Zone wants $160 + tax for a ramaned unit. Seems like a paid half that years ago. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I got one out of a 95 GT for about $25 4 years ago, still works great. I also bought a couple for other friends and theirs are still running too. Just look on www.car-part.com for a local alternator that will fit on a 95 Mustang. They say V6 ones up to 2000 will work, but I think even later model V6 ones will work OK. I saw a lot of them in TN for $25 and up. I look at it like you can get 6 used ones for the price of one remanufactured one. Most all of the 3G ones after 95 are 130 amp, some of the 94 ones were only 90 amps according to a Ford tech friend.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
My 130 amp 3G came from a 3.0 V-6 Taurus.Took about an hour to install it from start to finish.There are threads showing how to do it.I got my alternator about 3 years ago,still going strong.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, guess I'll try to find something used. Is there a list of what alt's can be used? Is 3G just a generic term for an alt that was put on many cars?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Yes, there is a list somewhere, but if you look on the car-part.com website, it will list all of vehicles from the Hollander interchange manual that the salvage yards use to determine compatable vehicles.

I know the 94-95 GTs, 95-2000 V6 Mustangs, V6 Thunderbirds and Cougars, Some of the F-150s also have the right one

A thread with some pics and measurements to make sure you get the right one:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1063557&highlight=alternator+list

from another website:

http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/3G_130A_Alternator_Upgrade.htm
Here is a list of vehicles that have the 3G alternator, most are 130A, but some might be 110A:

94-96 Mustang 3.8 V-6
94-95 Mustang 5.0
94-96 Thunderbird 3.8 V-6 (non SC)
95-96 Windstar 3.0 V-6 (most are 3.8's)
93-96 E/F series Trucks/Vans 4.9 L6*
96 Sable 3.0 V-6
94-96 Cougar 3.8 V-6

*Probably the best one if you can get it (should be easy to find, too) is off the E/F series...this series uses a threaded top ear like the stocker on the Mustang....E/F series with threaded ear uses metric bolt. ALSO, make sure the E/F series is 130 Amps and NOT 95.
I would find the newest one you can get, or the least used one. Some of the dates in the descriptions on car-part.com show the date it was entered into inventory. I got an almost new booster that was only on a car for less than a year according to the date code.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I installed my 3g using the smithmonte link above and didn`t cut any factory wires.

My 3g came off a 96 Taurus and the back had to be reclocked to get the regulator in the 5.0L position.
No problems for 3+ years now.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you guys replace the black/orange wire and fuse link that goes to the starter relay? Looks like it may be a bottleneck for higher current flow?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I installed the powermaster 140 amp alter on my wifes old 88GT Vert. It was not hard at all. It mounted to the stock bracket w/o any cutting/grinding. It comes with a QA card of what amps it puts out at a certain rpm to stock. Had it installed in under 15 min. The blinkers went from blinking slooow to fast. :) Advance has it for 185 buks. I got mine from Summit.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I installed the powermaster 140 amp alter on my wifes old 88GT Vert. It was not hard at all. It mounted to the stock bracket w/o any cutting/grinding. It comes with a QA card of what amps it puts out at a certain rpm to stock. Had it installed in under 15 min. The blinkers went from blinking slooow to fast. :) Advance has it for 185 buks. I got mine from Summit.
dont want to jack thread, but sometiems my right blinker wont blink, it will jsut stay on

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Did you guys replace the black/orange wire and fuse link that goes to the starter relay? Looks like it may be a bottleneck for higher current flow?

Yes, i taped them up at the alt, left the chassis side connected and then ran a 4gauge (or maybe it was 2 gauge) wire from the power post to the + side of the solenoid.

Also, look for the new 6G alternator. Unsure what cars it comes on, but it wires up the same way but is a smaller more compact case. No cutting of the alt bracket at all

·
Registered
984 Posts
dont want to jack thread, but sometiems my right blinker wont blink, it will jsut stay on
Sounds like either the bulb is bad or not all the way in the socket or the socket is not all the way in the lense. I have this problem on my 82. I have to keep adjusting the socket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So you just seperate/cut the black/orange wire, or wires? it's 2 isnt it? from the white/black one that goes to the alt. tape/cap the black/orange wires, plug in the d plug (the same right?) Run 4ga to starter solenoid battery side from alt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts