Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was on the freeway on my way home from work, in rush hour traffic, and suddenly my steering got really tight. I thought maybe my power steering pump took a dump. Within a minute or so, my brakes got super hard and I almost couldn’t stop the car. I made my way to the nearest exit as my ac quit blowing cold, pulled off, and thankfully there was an autozone right near the exit.

when I pulled in and opened the hood, my alternator was laying over held in place by the radiator hose and the belt was dangling.

I had to buy some tools and a bolt to replace the broken one, got it back in place, cranked it and it ran fine. Unfortunately, now my alternator isn’t charging the car, the car is overheating like the water pump isn’t moving coolant, the AC is not blowing cold anymore (when the clutch tries to engage, I hear it click but it never spins), and my blinkers are flashing fast on the dash and really annoyingly loud. No clue what all it could have messed up. I had about 5 miles to theapartment, and the temp was at max the whole way. My battery was down to about 1/3 on the gauge. I didn’t have enough juice to roll the windows down without worrying about being able to get them back up, and the ac not blowing cold made for a fun drive.

if anyone has any ideas of where to start, that would be great. It’s a new alternator, so I’m taking it to oreilly tomorrow to test it and I’ll get a replacement if it’s bad, but that won’t fix the ac and overheating.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not trying to be condescending but why aren’t you using the alternator bracket? That’s exactly why it needs to be used. Under load the alternator can flex forward like that. You’ll need to go through all of your fuses to make sure something didn’t blow. You ran it 5 miles without coolant flowing right? You might have blown a head gasket.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the time I lost power steering until I got to autozone was maybe 1-1.5 miles tops. I got the belt back on so coolant should have been flowing.

good question about the alternator bracket, and one I don’t have an answer for. It didn’t have one on it when I bought the car. I’ll see if I can find one somewhere.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Definitely get that bracket before running it again.

I don’t think you blew a head gasket then. Are you sure you got the belt routing correct? If the water pump was rotating the other way that could explain why it got hot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The belt routing is correct as far as I know. It’s the same as it has been and is routed per the diagrams I could find. I ordered the bracket last night, just need to figure out the bolt size. They look to be different on the alternator and intake coolant passage, and I’m guessing one of them is m6, but I’m not sure of the thread pitch or the other bolt size. I’ll just buy a few different ones and take back whatever doesn’t fit unless someone knows for sure.

just took the alternator out to go have it tested. It’s only a couple of months old, so it should get replaced if bad.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Auto part Metal

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
324 Posts
Make sure the alternator connector is plugged in all the way and no pins are backing out. I’ve ran into that issue where the pins backed out slightly almost unnoticeable. All the fuses are good and you have continuity from the battery to the alternator lug?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
A couple of observations:
You need to get the 12 volt alt connection covered, that's a huge fire hazard.
You're red COPs appear to be MSD, but I see no lettering on top. If there is no lettering, they are probably ebay junk. Replace with a good used set of Motorcraft DG508's

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rest assured, the coils are not eBay junk. They are new, and came from American muscle. The car has run fine with them, it’s not a coil problem.

fair enough about the boot, though there’s no real opportunity for it to catch fire so long as the alternator stays where it is suppose to and doesn’t contact anything grounded. The connection is tight and it’s not going to randomly spark. Regardless, I have a boot coming.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make sure the alternator connector is plugged in all the way and no pins are backing out. I’ve ran into that issue where the pins backed out slightly almost unnoticeable. All the fuses are good and you have continuity from the battery to the alternator lug?
Good call on checking the connector.
Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Finger Bumper

I’ll get a new connector and wire it in.

I can’t see how it would be related, but if that takes care of the alternator issue, now I need to figure out why it’s overheating and why the AC isn’t working.

I checked the plug on the ac compressor and it’s in all the way. As soon as you turn the ac on, the compressor kicks on for a couple of seconds then kicks off and won’t come back on. As long as the system is switched on (working or not) the rpm’s bounce up about 100-200 every 3 seconds like clockwork. It high idles around 1000, and every 3 seconds it jumps to 1100-1200 then back. If I rev it, the rpm’s hang for a good 7-10 seconds before it slowly comes back down, then starts bouncing again. As soon as I switch it to off, idle drops to the normal 800ish, bouncing stops and hanging idle stops.

I let it run (hooked to my truck with jumper cables) for a while and it started to overheat again.

if this doesn’t turn out to be a very simple fix, this car is gone. I’ve put a ton of money into it over the past year, but it has been a complete nightmare from the get go. I’m burned out completely.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did it puke any coolant when it overheated the first time? There could be an air pocket somewhere. I’d put the ac on the back burner for the moment. It could be an easy fix though.
I seemed to over pressurize and was dribbling a little bit out of the cap, but not enough that I would think would cause an air pocket. I’ll see if I can purge it.

ac will be on the back burner until the other issues are resolved, but I’m on the Texas gulf coast. It was 99 degrees today and humid as hell. Ac is pretty important here, lol.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I seemed to over pressurize and was dribbling a little bit out of the cap, but not enough that I would think would cause an air pocket. I’ll see if I can purge it.

ac will be on the back burner until the other issues are resolved, but I’m on the Texas gulf coast. It was 99 degrees today and humid as hell. Ac is pretty important here, lol.
That seems to be pretty normal, at least on all the new edge 4.6’s I’ve owned. Could be a bad cap.

I know what you mean about ac, I’m in southwest Florida lol. You could jump the low pressure switch and watch the head pressures. Did you check all your fuses?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts