Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I slapped in a 01 Crate Motor in my GT, and I had been hearing this ticking noise, I just diagnosed it as valvetrain noise...Well 3k Miles later I find out its a wrist pin. It seems to have alot of clearance (wasnt pressed in right)

It sucks cause I only have 3k Miles on this motor...But Oh well...Time to forge the Bottom end...

Ive been looking at JE 17cc Dished Pistons (.020 Over) Manley rods, Cleavite bearings, JE Rings, Arp Main and Head Studs, Sean Hyland Billitt Oil Pump Gears, and Port the Intake...

Since my Compression will drop to about 9:1 how much power do you think Ill will lose N/A???

If anyone has any good leads on prices for the rotating assembly let me know...

Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Im building up an 01 cobra crate motor right now with intentions for 17# boost. To get the9.x compression youll need to go with a 9-11.5 cc dish piston, the 17ccs with yield an 8.x range compression. I didnt see what your final plans for the motor are? Are you going to run N/A or power adder and what type?

Modmax rods are good and at a little under 500 they come with the arp 2000 bolts and will support 800 hp. I say this, because you can save money with these over the Manley and get the same quality.

Pistons, after buts loads of asking Q & A around here, I would recommend Diamond, JE, Ross and Modmax. Again type depends on what your doing. If your N/A you may want a 4032 for tighter tolerence. But you can get a piston with the same quality as the J/Es for less.

Regarding Arp main studs, Steve at Houston Performance has the best price Ive found. He can also get a good price on federal mo. race bearings.

For head studs wynnspeed has them for 149.00 in MM & FF

Anyways my whole bill with machining and parts looks like its around 2500 for a short block capable of 20# boost. My block will be running diamond pistons, total seal brand rings, modmax rods, cobra crank, fed mo. bearings, arp studs and billet oil gears.

Good luck. my best recommendation is to shop around on prices, there are some good deals around. If your looking to buy an assembled block then try dta, modularperformance, houston performance, FOMPK or SHM if you got big $$$$$$

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
O/T - out of curiousity, where did you purchase this '01 crate motor from?

Sorry I don't have any info on building it up :(

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
ac1122 said:
I slapped in a 01 Crate Motor in my GT, and I had been hearing this ticking noise, I just diagnosed it as valvetrain noise...Well 3k Miles later I find out its a wrist pin. It seems to have alot of clearance (wasnt pressed in right)

It sucks cause I only have 3k Miles on this motor...
I'd be complaining LOUD & OFTEN to the place that sold me the motor. Have you done that??? Maybe they will re-imburse you some of the cost for the repairs/upgrades... This crate motor DID come with some kind of warranty, didn't it???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts