Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took the car to have it aligned. I ended up taking it to a local tire kingdom where the manager is a long time mustang owner. He assured me that they could get it to drive right. It drives better than it did, but it still doesn't drive right. They said they would use the Cobra alignment specs to start from since I have 17X9 wheels with 255-45 rubber all the way around. When I got the car home I pulled out the measuring tape and started checking some things. The caster camber plates from Maximum motorsports really look crooked and I measured from the firewall to the center of the strut and from the hood bumper to the center of the strut. It is different from one side to the other by a half inch! They told me at the shop that I was maxed out on one of my adjustments and that they had to make the othe side the same in order to get it to drive right. I believe it was the camber adjustment. According to the alignment sheet they gave me they have the toe in set at .04 that is practically nothing. Is that correct. Any help would be appreciated. Can the caster camber plates be put on wrong? They look different from one side to the other. I can take photos if necessary.

thanks,

Chris

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
The toe should be fine, it's very slightly toe'd in just the way you want it to be. What you measured with the fore-aft measuremens was caster. Is the caster adjustment (the two smaller bolts) maxed out on either side? If it is, is it the side with the strut top farther forward? If yes to both, I'd suspect either a problem with the installation or the car.

Now measure from the edge of the fender to the strut top on each side which will give you a wild-ass-guess of camber. If your readout indicates camber is close to equal on each side, but the measurements you take are different, then I would start wondering if the car has been tweaked in a wreck.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's going back to the shop today. I printed out the directions on the CC plates from Maximum Motorsports website and took them home. When I compared them I found that the drivers side plate was installed wrong. It needed to be flipped over as if you took it in your palm and turned it over. I measured the strut position from several places last night and took the plate off and turned it over. I found that the middle plate. The one under the top plate was wedged in the strut tower hole. I had to pry it out with a scredriver. That is why it was on so crooked. It's amazing what you find on a used car. I found two plugs in the left front tire as well. That is very comforting I tell ya. I'm ordering some new Nitto rubber very shortly.

I put an extra steering rack limit bushing in the rack on each side as the tires rub at full lock. If it still does it I may have to go down to 245s from the 255s. I hate to do that on a 9 inch wheel though. I like being able to rotate the tires but I really don't want 245s on the back. If I have to go down in the front I'll probaby go up to 275s in the back.

thanks for the help. I've got to get home and get my cold air kit on and get it back to the alignment shop. I'm off this week and I've got to get it sorted out.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts