Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I started removing the air bag system on my street/strip 90 Gt stang. I took out the three fron tsensors and disconnected the wiring back to the first set of connectors. What all else should be removed, and what is the safeest way to ensure no "accidental" deployment? I believe there is a computer type thing somewhere that controls the whole sytem, where is that located? And there is some sort of back up power supply as well, where is that located at? Also I will remove the sensor and harness from the b pillar sensor as well. If all this is yanked, can I still safely leave the air bag itself in the steering wheel or do I have to have an ugly void there? Thanks to all who respond!

·
Registered
898 Posts
assuming you've disconnected the batt and left it for 15 minutes. (i leave it an hour cause i'm parnoid), odds are its safe. But you should take off the column cover and disconnect the wires going to the airbag just to be safe. And when your removing the airbag dont let the metal connectors in the harness come in contact with anything (supposedly static electricity can set it off). Hold it facing away from you and set it facing up. Keep in mind its basically a bomb and you can never be too safe with those things.

And yes you will need a new steering wheel.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldn't I just leave the actual bag itself present, but no wires or harness at all? That was my plan...

·
Registered
898 Posts
It's up to you, but personally i cant stand it sitting right there in front of me, and if it were disconnected i would get rid of it in a second. I've heard WAY to many stories of accidental deployment.
But i agree that it would look just retarded with a big rectangular hole in the steering wheel, why not get a new one?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts