Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking through my manual and it says to "disconnect" the backup power supply to the airbag, but never explains it. It just says that it will leak down in about 15 minutes after disconnecting the negative cable, which has been disconnected for several hours now. Should I be ok? Is there a way to physically disconnect the back-up power or was it just a poor choice of words on their part? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It does sound like just a bad choice of words. You should be fine removing/disconnecting the air bag. I worked at a :barf: Chevy dealership, and I did MANY steering column locks on the LS1 Vettes due to them going bad and locking the steering wheel. (It made it a little more difficult to drive it into the shop.) Anyway, I wouldn't even disconnect the battery when removing the air bags, actually, I would keep the car running so I could keep the a/c running. I did a couple a week and never had a problem. Though I was taught in school that static electricity could set one off, as long as your careful, and don't throw the air bag across the room, you should be ok. There is supposed to be a shorting bar inside the connector that shorts the 2 wires together too, preventing electricity from flowing.

I'll tell you this, I set one off face down in a parking lot with a 9 volt battery once. The air bag went about 10 feet in the air.:eek:

Maybe this is why:

The air bag's inflation system reacts sodium azide (NaN3) with potassium nitrate (KNO3) to produce nitrogen gas. Hot blasts of the nitrogen inflate the air bag.
The inflation system is not unlike a solid rocket booster. The air bag system ignites a solid propellant, which burns extremely rapidly to create a large volume of gas to inflate the bag. The bag then literally bursts from its storage site at up to 200 mph (322 kph) -- faster than the blink of an eye! A second later, the gas quickly dissipates through tiny holes in the bag, thus deflating the bag so you can move.

Even though the whole process happens in only one-twenty-fifth of a second, the additional time is enough to help prevent serious injury. The powdery substance released from the air bag, by the way, is regular cornstarch or talcum powder, which is used by the air bag manufacturers to keep the bags pliable and lubricated while they're in storage.

So, good luck.

Frank

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
The following is for ***MUSTANGS ONLY***!

What year stang? For 91+, you have to wait just !1-2 mins. From 92 on, Ford used internal capacitors as a "battery backup". For 91, they used an external rechargeable battery. For 91 and earlier, they didn't have a battery backup.

What are you doing to your air bag system? See my web pages for more info.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a 90 with a backup power supply. Its the little blue box located just above the glovebox. Disconnect it and the battery and your good to go.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
thunderlx said:
I have a 90 with a backup power supply. Its the little blue box located just above the glovebox. Disconnect it and the battery and your good to go.
Thanks for catching my typo!

I thought it was 90. But then, when I looked at my web page, it showed the battery backup for 91. Oh well. Ford used that battery backup system in Ford cars/trucks from 89-91. The Ford Air bag systems would be different in different makes during the "new air bag system/controller" years.

That battery backup drains in under 30 mins. The Ford air bag manual says to wait 20 mins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts