Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Speed Density 1987 Crown Vic 5.0 and am planning on doing the Mustang Mass Air conversion .The engine I have has the intake on the driver side as opposed to the passenger side.

I am concerned about my harness and wiring set up. I read on another BBS that using a computer from a Passenger side Air intake engine will fry the Driver side harness/components.

Is this true?

the reason I ask is

Currently I have the CV engine in my Jeep and only run the CV engine harness to the critical sensors/components.

Always wanting more power!

Mark

·
Registered
784 Posts
You would need to convert the motor to a HO motor first. The Crown Vic (CV) motor is a batch fire speed density system and has a different firing order.

You would need to convert the motor to a 86-93 Mustang Roller cam or compatible type. This uses the HO firing order needed for the SEFI system. There may be some flat tappet cams avail for an HO firing order, not sure. This involves changes to the front timing cover, and possibly the crankshaft and balancer (not sure on that one, maybe just older 302's are a problem there)

You would need a Mustang harness and computer as well. There are universal harness avail from Fox lake and Painless etc, But... this sounds like a low budget job, you would need a matching computer and harness from the same Mustang as there were differences in every year from 86-93.

The heads are pretty crappy too, and no forged pistons. Bottom line, it's easier to just get a Mustang 5.0 instead and start over. Most of the guys only use a CV motor for a block up buildup.

As for the intake plenum, most of those are reversible, so you can run them either direction with no problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts