Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Kevin I never said I was constantly watching the gauges. Having the ecu warn you is a great idea. My ecu has some warning I use. Not every ecu has has that ability. I sure wouldn't rely on a stock eec CEL to warn me that my boosted engine was running lean under boost. Engine could be damaged by than.
What ever works for you.
Sorry Bud, I wasn't insinuating that you yourself were. I've had this same discussion with other people and they are so adamant that they constantly watch all the gauges at the same time and trust their eyes and reflexes more than electronics.

There are extra devices that can be added and used to police the vitals. One thing I use is a Lean Protection Module with the ability to monitor two O2 sensors which kills the spark when either of the O2 sensors read leaner than what I have programed into it. This means that if at WOT an injector doesn't open, fuel pumps aren't supplying enough fuel, exhaust leak pre-O2 sensors, plugged fuel filter, or simply a tuning error causes a lean condition the ignition is shut off until I let off the gas and the TPS value drops below 1.5V or so. Once the throttle is lifted the ignition comes back on and I can drive the car normally or try another blast if I dare too.

Given such advancements in electronics why would anyone want to rely on watching a WB gauge (or any gauge) for protecting their hard earned investment during a WOT blast?

ks

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
No worries :)

I never heard of that lean protection module. After doing some research on it, discovered it is no longer made. Could have been a very valuable option for a lot of folks.
On my ecu I don't believe I can shut off the ignition on a lean condition. On a lean condition I do have it dropping boost, reducing timing, adding fuel (I run open loop) and lighting a warning light. I also run 8 egt's. When they go out of temp range, it does the same as above. Can't be too safe. I always thought about adding a warning buzzer but never found one small enough that looked good on paper. Would you happen to have a model/part number of buzzer you use? Thanks

·
Registered
762 Posts
Anyone that has to constantly watch gauges is neurotic.
Think about this seriously for a minute: If someone REALLY wanted to know the exact second that something was amis wouldn't you rather have an alarm sounding and screaming at you? You will never convince me that you watching all those gauges will allow you to react faster than other alternatives. How do you know that you will be watching the correct gauge if something happens. You can't watch every single gauge at every second. Gauges are great for tuning but do nothing if something actually happens.
I have electronics that monitor the vitals and if they become out of spec the motor is basically shut down and either lights go off or a 120db beeper screams at me. This is the fastest way to catch an issue and help prevent damage...if someone was really interested in preventing damage.

Ks
If you have an afr gauge mounted in a spot where you can actually see it while in wot, it’s pretty easy to keep an eye on it.
Not all of us datalog 24/7, I don’t see why someone would consider it neurotic to monitor air-fuel in real time.

Having an ecu which can keep tabs on afr and cut spark in case of a lean condition is nice to have, but don’t think engines have never been saved by monitoring gauges.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Your motor will be a pile long before you ever lift if the AFR's go lean.. Fortunately, AFR Safeties are common in most aftermarket EFI systems.

I have my PIMPXS/Megasquirt 3 setup to drop fuel and spark if it goes 1 point above or below my set point.

My motor has dropped out plenty of times as I've worked on my Fuel Table..

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
If you have an afr gauge mounted in a spot where you can actually see it while in wot, it’s pretty easy to keep an eye on it.
Not all of us datalog 24/7, I don’t see why someone would consider it neurotic to monitor air-fuel in real time.

Having an ecu which can keep tabs on afr and cut spark in case of a lean condition is nice to have, but don’t think engines have never been saved by monitoring gauges.
And don't think that engines haven't popped because somone thought that a gauge was all they needed to save their motor. "Keeping an eye on it" is a lot different than the desire to save the motor before it goes awry.

Data logging has nothing to do with it so no need to data log. Simply install the safety unit, program the critical values and it's done, computer does the rest. Now you can go WOT and watch another gauge if you want.

A person absolutely cannot react as fast as a computer but for some reason we humans think we can and we make up all kinds of reasons to defend our belief. Personally I don't care what people do, it's their $$. But if I can open someones eyes and get them to realize that hoping to save the motor by simply watching a gauge may not make the best sense, then all the better. Keep your gauge to stare it if you want but you can still have the safety system installed to save the motor when that time comes when you can't react fast enough.

ks

·
Registered
762 Posts
And don't think that engines haven't popped because somone thought that a gauge was all they needed to save their motor. "Keeping an eye on it" is a lot different than the desire to save the motor before it goes awry.

Data logging has nothing to do with it so no need to data log. Simply install the safety unit, program the critical values and it's done, computer does the rest. Now you can go WOT and watch another gauge if you want.

A person absolutely cannot react as fast as a computer but for some reason we humans think we can and we make up all kinds of reasons to defend our belief. Personally I don't care what people do, it's their $$. But if I can open someones eyes and get them to realize that hoping to save the motor by simply watching a gauge may not make the best sense, then all the better. Keep your gauge to stare it if you want but you can still have the safety system installed to save the motor when that time comes when you can't react fast enough.

ks
You certainly are a condescending type aren’t you. Sorry if I take your infinite wisdom with a grain of salt.

I’m not saying human reaction time is on par with a computer, I’m not a total idiot.
If you really think monitoring oil pressure, coolant temp, afr, etc is a waste then I guess that’s just how you feel.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
You certainly are a condescending type aren’t you. Sorry if I take your infinite wisdom with a grain of salt.

I’m not saying human reaction time is on par with a computer, I’m not a total idiot.
If you really think monitoring oil pressure, coolant temp, afr, etc is a waste then I guess that’s just how you feel.
Condescending how? Yes, I believe that staring at gauges hoping to save a motor base on human reactions will be far less successful than using electronics to do it because we can't react fast enough to the changes we observe on a gauge. You don't seem to disagree with this statement, do you?

If you agree with this statement then we agree on everything except our cars buildup because I choose to use the electronics and you don't.

ks

21 - 31 of 31 Posts