Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I admit I don't know much about air bags, but I need to get familiar with this aspect. I've been thinking about replacing my steering wheel with the FRPP FR500 wheel, as described here:

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/fr500wheel.htm

This makes the installation sound very simple, but there are a couple of lines stating,

"Remove the 8mm bolts that hold the airbag in place.

3. Airbag will fall out but still be attached by a wire. "

Sounds simple, but looking at Ford's service CD-ROM, there are about a million "Warning!" entries surrounding the airbag and its removal. Now I know the Ford instructions will error on the side of caution, but is it really this easy? Is the airbag assembly this stable? Can I damage the airbag functionality via removal and transplant to a new wheel? I have no problem passing the job on to an expert if I'm approaching an area over my head or with potential safety implications. Thanks!

Frank

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, and yes, everything I've read stresses the battery disconnect as step one. I take it that will have no impact on any other electrical systems?

As for the air bag, I was just kind of surprised by the casual "the bag will fall out" reference - I guess the housing is pretty stout and things will hang together during the transplant.

Any other advice on the steering wheel bolt? I think someone mentioned using a Torx T-50.

Again, thanks to y'all as always for the input.

Frank

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cobra '03, do you mean use the fuse method instead of disconnecting the battery's negative terminal, or instead of the suggestion to not even bother disconnecting the battery? Are you referring to the possibility of a short even though the battery has been disconnected? Thanks -

Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.