Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I tried to switch to a colder plug like everyone suggested. I went to the Autolite 3423. Now all I did was take out the old plugs, and put in the new ones with a little anti-seize on them. The car starts up great but all of a sudden a small stream of smoke starts coming up from the engine. Looked like from the number 5 cylinder exhaust or something but couldn't really tell where it was coming from. So I shut off the car and it stopped. My question is what the heck was the smoke coming from? Was it the anti-seize burning? Are the plugs not right for it? What was it? I'm totally over this car now. I just want to sell it and start fresh on a new one. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
i dont think you use anit seize on plugs do you? i mean hell i only leave mine in for 3000 miles or so.....thats just me though.... Did yo get a chance to smell what the smoke smeeled like? oil, coolant, anti seize compound :)
Let us know so we cqan further help, thanks JON

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it said in the manual to use antiseize and on the antiseize packaging it said that it is used on spark plugs. I couldn't see if it was exactly coming out of the spark plug hole, but that was the area it was coming from. And it smelled like a burning rubberish, burning something kind of smell. it was not a lot of smoke and i didn't want to take the chance of leaving it on so i couldn't really get a good whiff of it, but it possibly could be the antiseize burning. my next question would be then, why do they say to put it on there if it burns off and scares the crap out of me?

·
Registered
921 Posts
prolly just got a lil extra near the header. It's a good idea to use it in aluminum heads though. I'd start it up and watch to see where it was comming from. you didnt accidentally lay a plug wire against the header or anything did you?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i checked all that, i'll double check though to make sure, can't do anything tonight though cause its dark, and can't drive it to work like that tomorrow so ill have to get a ride and try and fix it afterwards. any other ideas? thanks for the responses so far

·
Registered
952 Posts
What color smoke?

If you applied a light coating JUST to the threads, (according to the instructions), there would be NONE to burn off.

It is easy to get some on the exhaust manifold or have a plug wire/nipple touching the manifold.

If you got any ahead of the threads, (on the electrode/ground lug or down in around the porcelain insulator), then You would experience the anti-sieize burning = smoking out the tail pipe.

A colder plug, by itself, should not cause smoking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, it was smoking under the hood, not out the tailpipes

·
Registered
106 Posts
You sure it's not just a coincidence the valve cover is leaking? Seeing you're running chrome v/covers, sometimes they don't make the best of gasket seals. Get in the area you see the smoke with a mirror and look for a leak.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The "burning rubberish" smell is your tip.

Look for a plug wire or other rubber/neoprene part that may have come/been in contact with the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sounds like the plug boot to me too- it's happened to me before. Like said above it could also be a little anti-sieze that got on the header when you were putting it in, or if you slathered the inside of your plug boots with dielectric grease like I usually do, some of that could have squeezed out onto the header. From what I've heard, you should use anti-sieze to put plugs in aluminum heads but don't need to for iron heads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts