Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have my Cobra back after a divorce forced the sale and I had purchased some Cobra R's (4 lug) and some new tires. Of course, I did not know at the time the offset on the front wheels was different on the 93 Cobra only. The wheels stick out about 3/4 to 1 inch and I just don't like the look. Any help on a manufacturer that makes the correct backspaced wheels for my 93? I have AFS wheels now, 17x8 front & 17 x9 rear. I really do not want to change the front rotors, cause the car is pretty much stock right now. Thanks, any help is appreciated and I hope to chat with more of you later on.

Gary

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't know exactly what the different offset is on the front.:confused:

Glad to hear you got your car back though:)

Did you sell the originals?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Difference

The difference is about 3/4 of an inch. The Cobra spindles are that much wider (thicker) than a stock GT. It was done that way to allow clearance for using the finned wheels and the 245/45/17 tires on the front. I did measure it and it is 3/4 of an inch fatter on the front vs the rear.

No, I did not sell the originals. Keeping them in case I show the car again in the future. It has low miles (8900) so the original tires still have good tread. Well at least the front! Ha Ha!!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Wrong, wrong wrong!

First off the 3/4" wider track per side on the 93 cobra is from the rotors. The cobra rotors have a taller hat.

To run a stock offset in the front, purchase a set of 87-93 V8 (gt or LX 5.0) rotors for the front. Problem solved.

http://svo73mm.cjb.net

why would you not want to run the GT rotors up front? Solves the problem and you can shelf the stock rotors. Simple solution to the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt

Sorry, it IS the rotor, not the spindle, it must be the drugs. Or lack of.........

Thanks for corrcting me.

Gary

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Was the front track increased to "match" the rear track?

I thought it was the increase in rear track that necessitated the commensurate increase up front....

My take on it:

Rear track increased because of longer axles (like TurboCoupe)
Front track increased because of taller "hat" on rotors

How am I doing Matt? :)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
That is how it happened. But Ford did not want to make 2 separate wheels for the 93 cobra. Basically if they used the stock GT front track, then they would use one offset. Then a deeper offset for the longer axles out back. The brakes came right out of the ford parts bin from the 87-88 TC so it was a cheap upgrade. The only other difference in the braking system beyond the 93 model year Ebrake cables was the 2 port 1" bore Mc on the 93 cobra.

Back on track, yes they made the hats taller on the rotors to match the rear track thus use the same wheels on all 4 corners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts