Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, basic question here.

Background. I bought this car and it has an aftermarket shifter on it, I haven't taken the boot off to see what brand, but it looks to be a Tri-ax or an MRT (tri-ax knockoff).

Now that being said, should the shifts be notchy? I mean at a stand still, it will shift 1-2, 2-3, etc, quick and straight.

When going down the road, like during my test of the new fuel filter, the 1-2 is really notchy. I can feel it "catch" in the middle. It is hard for me to explain.

Should it be smooth as silk? Is this normal for an aftermarket shifter? This is my first one.

I am thinking of getting a crappy baseline on the car at a local track on Wed, but don't want to mess up my tranny as I almost did the other day. I thought it was in second during a small powershift, let off the clutch and nothing but major grinding because it wasn't in gear because of the notchiness.

Make sense?

·
Registered
227 Posts
sounds like somthing not right. mine works fine it is a b&m ripper shifter though.is your clutch releasing right.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'd check your clutch cable. Your clutch might not be engaging all the way, and you have to almost "powershift" into every gear just to make the clutch work for you. I have a Tri-Ax and it's as smooth as butter. If that is your problem, fix it soon, or that clutch isn't gonna last very long. It's almost like daily-driving shifting with the clutch not engaged all the way.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Now normal driving, I never have any problems, no grinding, nothing. It just seems like the shifter itself is notchy.

This notchiness in the shifter could be from the clutch not engaging all the way? HMMM, never would have guessed.

Thanks.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Notchiness is a trait of an aftermarket shifter, although it generally isn't very bad. The reason for this is the lack of any rubber or other pliable materials in the aftermarket shifter. This is also why most of them are noisy.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I said it could be from your clutch because you almost have to slam the shifter through your gears if that's the problem. I know when my clutch was pretty much complete toast I had to put forth a decent amount of effort to get it into any gear. I had a couple scares a redlights where it almost didn't go back into 1st gear. That was with my Tri-Ax too. New clutch, now it's fine. It is a bit notchy, but not to the point of being a nuisance. (sp? lol). Glad to hear it's fine now.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it isn't exactly fine. I am still having a problem. I finally took the boot off and inspected it to make sure it was, in fact, a Steeda and it is.

Last night at the track I had my buddy compare it to his Pro 5.0 and he could not believe the notchiness of mine. He didn't even start the car, it was turned off, clutch in and going through the gears. I tried his and didn't have to push the clutch in and his was smooth as silk, couldn't feel any notchiness.

think if the tranny fluid was low, or the tranny is bad, that it would feel so different?

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Sounds more like a tranny issue. Like either your synchros are going, or bent shift fork, or something like that...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems the fluid is low. I just checked it and pulled the top plug on the side of the tranny and no fluid trickled out and I couldn't feel any fluid when I stuck my finger in the whole.

Time to get some new fluid.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I just drained the fluid and it looked as brown as used motor oil. Filled it up with ATF, took it for a drive down the road and it still had the notchiness. Will it take some miles to smooth out and circulate?

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
I seriously doubt that it will get better... :(

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well this is what makes me think it is the shifter. Maybe I'm wrong. When I put the car in neutral and move the shifter back and forth, it is notchy as heck, too.

That should have nothing to do with the clutch. I don't have to push the pedal in but 2 inches to shift gears, I woudl guess it is OK?

·
Registered
348 Posts
definetly sounds like the synchros going bad

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yeah, but you don't use the synchros when the shifter is in neutral, moving back and forth. Try to find a stock shifter or another aftermarket one from a friend that you can pull off and put on yours....that'll show you if it's your shifter.

Ash

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
on my tri-ax the bolts holder the shifter handle to the lower shifter peice itself backed off on me and before it completely backed out it was a pain in the butt to shift and I couldn't track it down.

it was an easy fix, I just took the boot off and saw the bolts backed half way out :) took em off, locktite, and re-tighten and the shifter felt good as new.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, all the advice I have been given is pointing to a bad tranny (or at least bad synchros. I guess I will be getting a new one, or rebuilding this one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
One other point, a buddy of mine and I both got a Tri-ax at about the same time (his is in an '03 Cobra, lucky bastard!) and have compared notes frequently over the last six months- the shifter starts out very notchy (do you know how many miles on yours?) and gets smoother with time. It NEVER gets as smooth as the factory spoon-in-an-Icee-cup feeling, but you still feel the two-part movement in normal shifts. HOWEVER, when you are in a hurry, just slam it from one gear to another and you don't feel the bump in the middle. Don't be shy, you won't hurt anything- that's why it has those adjustable bolt stops to keep you out of the shifter fork damage point. Of course, if you are worried about tranny issues you may want to get those checked out first- just wanted you to have the .02 on the Tri-ax. :)

P.S.- It also has spring pre-load to help get the 2-3 shift without missing a gear- you may need to remember to hold tension to the left on the 1-2 shift to keep the spring from pulling it towards the center. There is no spring tension when in the 3-4 slot, 1-2 pulls to the right, and 5-R pulls to the left (if that makes sense).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That makes perfect sense, the spring thing that is. I'm getting occasional grinding now that I changed the fluid, too (yes I put enough in).

Oh well, anyone rebuild a t5 before?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts