Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly do aftermarket control arms (non-adjustable) do? It seems to me that it is just the factory rubber bushing being replaced with something better like polyurethane. What is the need of the whole unit being replaced?

Is it possible to just replace just the bushings in the stock control arms (and save $!)?

I've also heard that replacing the bushings in the stock suspension provides the greatest improvements (vice replacing whole components). What all should I be replacing?

Not looking for a real rough ride either. Like to keep it comfortable enough to keep the wife from b***hing. haha.

Thanks,
IJCobra

·
Registered
533 Posts
An aftermarket control arm of boxed or tubular construction is going to be MUCH stronger and less flexible than the factory stamped steel pieces, also the poly bushings help with flex.
You can just replace the stock bushings but it would be a PIA to do and probably wouldnt save you much over an aftermarket lower control arms which can be as low as $130 and I have seen full UCA & LCA sets for as low as $210.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Like 94SVT said, the different bushing materials help and the stock arms are stamped steel and pretty weak compared to aftermarket stuff.

I'm running the Global West Lower Control Arms on my car. I've been pretty happy with them and they are kinda unique compared to other control arms out on the market.

This is taken directly from there website.

Part# TBF-1 (pictured left) utilizes spherical aircraft bearings
and DEL-A-LUM (pronounced della-loom) Bushings to control
rear end lateral movement as well as fore and aft location.
TBF-1's allow full rear end articulation without bind, making them
superior over any polyurethane based control arm.
TBF-1's also eliminate the need for a panhard rod because lateral
location is already provided by our unique control arm design.
They also sell just the bushing material for retrofit into stock control arms because certain race classes only allow stock arms. I don't think it's worth the cost though.

Oh, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that with the stiffer bushing material you will get more road noise being transmitted into the car. When I first got my GW LCA's installed I drove around with the top down and the radio turned up. Got off the highway and put the top up and the AC on to make a phone call and I thought my rear end was going on because of the noise. Turned out just to be the arms. GW are noiser than others from what I've found because of the solid bushing.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Global west are the ****. If you're going to run a panhard rod then go with the maximun motorsports arms.

·
Registered
742 Posts
texsn95 said:
Global west are the ****. If you're going to run a panhard rod then go with the maximun motorsports arms.
Yes they are but I'm needing more now and will be changing over to Maximum Motorsport arms, Panhard Rod, and Torque Arm when I can afford it. Still waiting to see how there Tubular K-Member is coming out. I've heard good things about the Fox Body one.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Anyone ever use the Pro3i LCA's? Seemed like a good time to ask:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts