Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1541 steel, summit, yukon, moser etc-how much power and tq will these take approx ? Anyone running sub 12's ?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been 12.30s with a stick 1.60 60fts dumping the clutch at 6k, just seeing who's been alot faster with no issues ? The car i'm working on now is a light coupe with C4 auto 3500 stall-not as violent on stuff-might be in the 11.50-11.80s

·
Registered
438 Posts
Seen cars in the tens break stuff. Think 1.40 sixty. Axle look fine it came out with the tire.

I run low 11 in my convertible my sixty suck stock axle 373 gears.

If u want to get into the tens or faster c clip eleminators or nine inch ends. Or just go for a nine inch. 31 spline will last u for a while. if u can find a life time warranty on an axle go for that..

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 8.8 33's eliminators, and a spool in my 10sec car-just not sure if i want to upgrade the diff on this one but i might just go 31s

·
Registered
438 Posts
Think I understand. U got 2 cars. The one u are working on u want to upgrade?

My race car I upgraded to 40 spline race craft rear. Pretty much done unless if I wanted to go to floater.

If anything I would upgrade the 10 sec car and move the stuff over to the slower one.. hmmm mini tub

Pretty much i just get my traction lock rebuild feels like a spool for a little while. I would not upgrade my axles unless u c clip it. The c clip is the weak point in my opinion. Unless u are doing a five lug conversion..

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
When the car is going in a straight line, there is absolutely zero load on the c-clip. The only time the c-clip sees any load is on the inside tire of a car going around a corner.

The c-clip keeps the axle from pulling out of the axle housing. Nothing else.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
There are too many variables to answer this question. It depends on the engines torque, the amount of clutch lockup, the 1st gear ratio, the differential gear ratio, the car weight, the amount of rear tire grip and the percent of rear roll stiffness in the suspension.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
The c-clip rides in a groove machined in the axle. It is covered in gear oil. It is 100% free to rotate around the groove in the axle just like a bearing. How in the world can axle twist put any load on it? This is just like saying that axle twist is going to cause the bearings to fail.

The only potential problem with c-clips is this. If the axle breaks due to excessive torque, it does so somewhere between the c-clip groove and the drive flange at the outside. Once the axle has broken, if the car has drum brakes, there is nothing to hold it in the axle housing because the c-clip is attached to the axle on the very, very inboard part of the axle. Then the axle can come out of the housing.

If the car has OEM rear disc brakes, there is no problem as the caliper keeps the rotor from moving sideways, so that the axle can't come out. If the car has 9" axles and ends, the bearing is pressed onto the axle at the very outer end, and the bearing is retained in the housing by a plate with four screws. This makes it much less likely for the axle to come out if it breaks, because it is always going to break inboard of the bearing location. It can still come out because the press fit of the ring which holds the bearing on is not that much.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I guess u do not drag race? I have seen c clips break at the drag strip. Guy pulled off tire and the axle. Yeah the axle twist that is why some people Mark the axle with a line see if it twist. Spline area it might twist also. That why u break c clips. If the axle does not break.

·
Registered
438 Posts
When u twist the axle it is like u ringing out a rag. U are actually making it shorter that is when the c clip pops off the axle.

Maybe I am explaining it wrong?

·
Registered
199 Posts
If the car has 9" axles and ends, the bearing is pressed onto the axle at the very outer end, and the bearing is retained in the housing by a plate with four screws. This makes it much less likely for the axle to come out if it breaks, because it is always going to break inboard of the bearing location. It can still come out because the press fit of the ring which holds the bearing on is not that much.
You ever try pressing on those wedding rings? They go with a fight, even when heated. Never mind taking them off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts