Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started her up last night and ran her for about 20 minutes to break the engine in a bit.

How important is it to retorque the head bolts now that she's cooled down?

She ran great, but wouldn't hold an idle. I still have to dial in the timing, but I had it roughly between 6-16 deg BTDC. The Holley 650 DP also had the same settings as when I took it off the stock motor prior to putting in the new motor. I don't think the carb settings would be that far off. I'm thinking I may have a vac leak somewhere, but I don't hear any hissing.

Anyway, I'm just so damn happy that it started up and ran so smooth when I held it between 1700-2100 rpm. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
good to hear.i hope everything goes good for me when i fire it up,been 6 months since i heard it run

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good Job bro, It's a great feeling doing that yourself.. Are the heads aluminum? You should be alright if you 'correctly' torqued them down to begin with, maybe double check them if you want.. but should be good to go..

Enjoy it man

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Did you use Fel-Pro gaskets? They "never need retorqing". I don't know about other brands, never used them. When my friend broke in his new engine it wouldn't hold an idle either. Turns out he left one little vacuum hose disconnected. THE ONE THAT GOES TO THE BRAKE BOOSTER, LOL.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Mustanger said:
I started her up last night and ran her for about 20 minutes to break the engine in a bit.

Anyway, I'm just so damn happy that it started up and ran so smooth when I held it between 1700-2100 rpm. :)
It's a beautiful thing isn't it? You don't have to idle it between 1500-2000 RPM's for 20 minutes if it's a roller cammed motor. That procedure is for flat tappet camshafts, ensuring adequate lubrication to the faces of the lifter and cam until the appropriate wear pattern has formed. Congratulations on the rebuild. It sure does give one a sense of accomplishment......James:joy:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's not one its the other....today my Tbird SC (see signature) just crapped out. Somehow it shot oil out all over the front of the engine, my "check guages" light came on and I saw I had no oil pressure. I pulled over and shut it off and had it towed home.

I can't believe this crap....I just hope I didn't screw up any bearings. From initial inspection, I don't see anything obvious where it shot oil out. I'll have to investigate this weekend.

Sorry for that deviation....back to the Mustang, yes it is AFR 165 heads, and I did use Felpro 1011-2 gaskets (can you believe $95 for 2 headgaskets!).

I hope it is just a vacuum hose, but I didn't see anything initially.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts