Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the situation, freshly installed valve body, shifter mushier than usual, when reverse is selected-reverse lights come on, but the car won't go. No forward, no reverse. :barf:

Any insight as to what I did wrong would be appreciated. If you need more details feel free to ask.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Did you get the transbrake valve body? Are you sure you didn't get a full manual valvebody?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, its the street/strip version. I tried every gear selection, R-D-2-1, and none of them result in any motion of the car. The engine sounds as if its free-reving when I gas it, as if it was in neutral.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just installed one too...I dont know how much fluid you had drain out..but make sure you put the right amount of fluid back in of the car will feel VERY wrong...not as bad your saying..but it's start...
Sounds odd that you dont have any gear at all...did you hook the selector back in properly..I know it's all basic stuff but it's the only thing that makes sense for that situation...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I hooked up the selector arm right, but I may have not torqued it down hard enough...which could explain why the shifter is feeling mushy. I'm going to try re-torquing all the screws in the valve body tighter tomorrow. How do you like yours? I can't wait to feel the difference, I never like the way the car shifted before.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
You will love it, car shifts very firm and VERY fast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love the valve body..world of differnece ! Shifts nice and hard when manually shifting but tame enough in D to not be annoying, so the best of both worlds.
If you didnt torgue the bolts down..I think you would have known
I know I was real careful when doing it, it's pretty easy job but Performance Automatics didnt provide any direction for my car so that didnt help. Only thing I can think of is maybe you didnt install some of the spring correctly in the accumulators and they popped back out, I know those snag rings are a pain. You also didnt take out the wrong accumulator either did you..? First time I did one I took out the OD by mistake..what a pain plus it almost killed me..it shot out so fast....just make sure you have the right amount of fluid in there....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I originally torqued the screws down to 90in-lbs, well I got under there today and a bunch weren't even hand tight...wtf? So I re-torqued all screws to almost 120in-lbs and...it runs perfectly. I'm thinking my new torque wrench is a pos. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts