Ford Mustang Forums banner
101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I'd give the cam choice a second look see. For auto-X it seems that might not be the best choice. I don't auto-X but don't you spent considerable time in the lower rpm's powering out of turns? RPM's that are relatively low? For not much (if any) more money you can get a cam designed for your intended usage that makes power where you will need/use it.
Auto-xers use the entire RPM range, usually in second, but spend most of our time from about 3krpm to rev limit. XE274HR dyno from Richard Holdener on a "mild 302", seems good to me for auto-x. Yes, the second graph with better heads shifts the peak torque even more to the right but if the car can rev higher, I can put steeper gears in it. Car is 2700 lbs, AL flywheel and driveshaft with 3.55s for now (likely 3.73s or 3.90s in its future), it will dig out of auto-x slow turns just fine with this kind of area under the curve.

Rectangle Slope Font Line Plot

Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

Once again - low price mandate bites ya.
AFR 8017 springs and XE camshaft - 🤮
Track Heat "and" a spacer? 😨
1-3/4" shorty headers. 🥺
"Polishing?" Is this 1960 with ported and relieved Ford flat heads? 🤬
Life, and budgets, are about compromise. I race for plastic trophies (and sometimes free tires).
"Polishing", oh FFS, forgive me for using the wrong word. I've never ported a set of heads in my life. Guess I'll just watch some Youtube videos and decide if I want to risk trying to improve anything on these heads.

Just curious what numbers people think this combo will make. Maybe we should make it a contest where closest guess, I send them a six-pack of local beer, make it fun. No IPAs though. If you drink IPAs, you are a bad person and should feel ashamed of yourself. Heh.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have the XE274HR cam and it's fine for autocross. With a T5, you'll always be in your RPM band with 3.55's or 3.73's. Of course there are better options, but I know from experience that the cam will absolutely work just fine for driving around cones.

101 - 103 of 103 Posts