Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Aeromotive Competition kit, but I have heard that the pumps cycle the fuel so much that it begins to heat up and harm the pump. This voltage regulator cuts the voltage down until you reach 3,000 RPMs and then give's it full power. Sounds good until the price....$200:barf: That sucks. They are charging you more because there pumps are burning up. Anyone running one and do you like it? Anyone running on the street without one? Suppose the theing goes and you dont get full power from the pump?? There goes my 331! Any experiencs would help.

Thanks Chuck

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone using one??

·
Registered
917 Posts
Just FYI, I was going to run one before I changed my whole fuel system around and I did some looking into it...

The controller can be adjusted to kick in additional voltage at a different RPM other than 3k rpm, you're not restricted to the the 3k mark. Also, it comes with a override switch for racing and/or screwing around which will give the pump full voltage until you flip it back. You have full control of the pump and its settings.

If all you do is race your car it's probably not worth it. If you sit in traffic for extended periods of time regularly it may be worthwhile.

Rich

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
You have to realize that your pump is cycling a lot of unused fuel. BG also makes a voltage reducer, but I believe its about the same price. Personally I would have one on my street car with that pump, which by the way, I'm in the process of buying and plan to run the reducer.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Mine works as advertised. As Rich said, you have an overide switch that disables the RPM control aspect of the unit and provides full voltage. The RPM control aspect is also adjustable to whatever RPM you want it activated. Pretty easy to test if it's working correct also. The price is not all that bad if it saves having to buy a new pump every year or two.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The Boost a Pump will take the stock 12volts and bump it up as high as something like 17volts under load. That would work well for a pump that is too small for the application and needs the extra voltage to push more fuel.

The Pump Controller takes a large fuel pump and reduces the voltage to reduce the amount of fuel being fed. This increases its longevity by making it work less when its not needed. In addition, cycling the extra fuel generates heat in the fuel - cold fuel will allow the engine to make more efficient power.

Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.