Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these ever (or frequently) go bad?

I have been chasing a serious gremlin in my car since I put it together about 6 weeks ago.

I guess its my own damn fault for making so many changes at once. Heres whats going on:

Car ran OK for about 3 or 4 days. THen, after the car was good and warm, it would start cutting out (my first thought was that it was a electrical problem.) Only did it when it was hot. I could let the car sit for a couple hours or so with the hood open and it would be fine afterwards. First thing I thought was either the coil or the ignition module. I had both checked Autozone and both were OK (I still wasn't sold on the MSD coil being OK since I know that they might only act up when they are really hot. I waited unitl it did it again and then quickly changed my coil back to the stocker and it made no difference. I ruled out it and the ignition module at that point.) Next I unplugged the MSD 6AL and tried it without that. Well, it ran fine for about 2 days and about the time I thought I had it licked, it started again. :mad: Ruled out the MSD box.

Next I started checking ALL my connections (actually did this earlier, but I really went over everything at this point.) Everything OK. THen, I went to start it up cold the other day (I say cold, but it was in the 93 deg sun all day) and it did it again (MFer!!!) Now I was really getting stumped.

Next I started to look at the fuel system (another completely new system on the car.)

I found what i thought might be a loose ground wire. Only thing is, I wasn't sure if I made it loose by touching/moving it then, or if it was loose before I touched it. Either way it wasn't it as after I put the fuel system back together it did it again after about 15 minutes of driving. :(

Just then I realized it possibly could be the Voltage controller acting up. This possibly could fit all the symtoms with the way the car has been behaving. I by-passed it and drove it about anopther hour and it didn't act up (which doesn't prove much of anything as some of the other stuff I thought were responsible took longer than this before it acted up again.)

Does anyone have any advice before I drive my freaking car into the river and have myself committed? Arrrrgh!

Thanks

Keith

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Where do you have the controller mounted? Is it close enough that you could monitor voltage output with a digital multimeter while driving?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts