Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after ruining my 2 front Z-rated tires (faster than the rears!), i've decided that my car need some plates.
i've learned that the 4-hole option is infinitely better, but does that require drilling?
how hard is it to install these things?

i ride on FMS C-springs with Koni yellows.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
BoneStock said:
has anyone installed them? or should i take it to the garage?
The toughest part of the whole job is getting the doggone top strut nut loose - of course, if you have air tools, then that's not really tough. :cool: On mine (FOX), we had to wallow-out the slots in the strut tower so the adjustment bolts would slide smoothly, but that was about all.

As far as wearing out your tires; Did the insides wear really badly, really quickly? If so, have your toe checked. When the car is lowered, the toe goes 'out' as a result. (Don't ask me the mechanical reason for this - it just happens - MFE can tell you why) ;) The same happened to me, and when I got new fronts, I had the toe reset until I could get some C/C plates myself. Having the toe set really, really reduced that tire wear by itself.

Wade

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
You can install them yourself if you have a drill and some basic hand tools. As stated above the hardest part is getting the top nut off the strut but you can have someone zip them loose in 30 seconds and most people wouldn't even charge you for it.

With C springs on there you definitely added negative camber, which can be hard on tires all but itself but it's an absolute killer if you don't correct the resulting toe-out, which can be dramatic.

When all is said and done you'll want to set the camber to no less than -1.0 and probably no more than -1.25, then set your toe to 1/16 inch total toe-in. I say no less than -1.0 camber becuase even then the body roll will still be enough to cause it to go positive in a corner which will wear the outside edges of the tire. I say no more than -1.25 becuase I expect you'll still have some inner edge wear even with the toe set properly and you're striving for a happy medium.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts