Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advantages of Explorer Intake over stock
What kind of performance advantage does an Explorer intake have over a stock 90 5.0 intake. What is a typical power gain, my car is all stock with th exception of a h-pipe?

[email protected]

·
Registered
35,444 Posts
The main stumbling blocks to more flow and therefore more HP in a stock engine are the heads and the lower intake. The Explorer intake shares the same GT40 lower that the Cobra and the GT40 use, with a cast upper that flows a bit less than the Cobra or GT40 upper, but much better than stock. However, once you get it through the intake, it's still gotta deal with your stock heads, not to mention throttle body and maf restrictions at some point. So just changing the manifold probably won't make a drastic difference. If you're going to add other parts later - then you could do a manifold now, and just realize it's not going to be optimized or deliver what it's capable of until you get the rest of your components matched to it. If you're not going to do heads later, a more cost effective approach might be to have tmoss port your lower intake for you. That would be much less expensive than the Explorer intake, and you can keep your current egr configuration.

The later Explorer intakes do not have provisions for internal egr. So if you must have a working egr to pass emissions testing, then an early Explorer intake or a Cobra intake will be a better choice.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
not dyno'd, but track tested.

with standard bolt-ons (gears, pullies, exhaust) I picked up nearly 1 full mph through the traps with the trusty exploder intake.

I assume it's somewhere between 5 and 10 HP on a stock 5.0 longblock based on the mph gain.

I'm not just comparing one run either. I'm comparing 10+ runs before/after and adjusted for density altitude.

·
Registered
35,444 Posts
93exchp - thanks for the documentation; great running stocker you've got there, or at least real close to stock. What gear ratio? This is a great example of different perspectives at work. Clearly you're looking for every little bit that helps, and the manifold did. And from my perspective, my description of "probably not a drastic improvement" seems accurate too.

So, tziip, it all depends on how you see it -- if that kind of power gain is worth it to you. By the way, the Explorer lower isn't equipped with the threaded opening for the ACT sensor that's in the stocker's number 5 runner. So you'll have to drill and tap the upper or lower for it, or relocate it (most of who go that route put it in the intake pipe - somewhere upstream of the throttle body), which requires extending the wiring harness. Where ever you put it, remember it has to be grounded to work properly. The relocation approach seems to be easier for most than the drilling and tapping approach. Either way, it's not a particularly difficult thing to deal with. Of course, if you go with a Cobra or GT40, you don't have to worry about the ACT or the potential egr issue. Both of those manifolds are configured like the stocker in that regard.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Michael Yount said:

....the ACT sensor.... Where ever you put it, remember it has to be grounded to work properly.
Michael: My ACT sensor has a plastic housing, how can it be grounded? Do I have the wrong sensor? The threads matched the stock intake and the harness plug fits perfectly. I have the ACT mounted in the intake tube.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
3.73 gears and a little ET Street ;)

BTW, I just left my ACT sensor hanging near the #5 runner on a string, lol.

Made it easy to douse it in ice water before a run. You know the EEC-IV pulls timing when it reads warm/hot right :D :D

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
93-ex-chp said:
3.73 gears and a little ET Street ;)

BTW, I just left my ACT sensor hanging near the #5 runner on a string, lol.

Made it easy to douse it in ice water before a run. You know the EEC-IV pulls timing when it reads warm/hot right :D :D
The A9L pulls 2 degrees when temp gets to 190.

·
Registered
35,444 Posts
TX66 - my ACT sensor has brass threads and a plastic electrical connection on top. It's a 2-prong plug - I assume a computer generated voltage in (probably 5V) that get's 'resisted' down depending on the temperature. So I think it's computer voltage in - signal voltage out for the two prongs. I've just assumed that it needed to be threaded into a grounded surface - like the intake manifold on the stock setup - to operate correctly. My intake tubing (all custom fabricated) is metal, however, it is insulated from ground by the rubber connectors that join them together. So I attached a ground wire to the particular intake tubing elbow that my ACT screws into to be sure the circuit would have the ground I believed it needed to work properly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts