Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of performance advantage does an Explorer intake have over a stock 90 5.0 intake. What is a typical power gain, my car is all stock with th exception of a h-pipe?

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
i am understanding that its not that far off from a cobra intake, port the lower a little bit and you will do even better. if there was a easy way to do the upper i would say do it also, it is possable i belive to take them to better perfomance than GT-40 intake.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I went from all bolt-ons to a Cobra intake and my ET went from 13.27/103.5 to a 13.13/105. A nice little gain, but I'd do all the other tricks 1st.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
Here's a comparison of a CObra lower (same as Expy) and a stocker

·
Registered
919 Posts
I agree with the guy above. From what I've heard it flows almost as good as a Cobra. I heard there's less of a cfm difference between the Explorer and Cobra as there is between the Cobra and GT40.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
pretty much any i think after 93 that had the V8 in them. But for you to totaly run it on a mustang you must drill and tap one spot for all the connections, i do not think you have to worry about it if you use just the lower, but unless you have something better than stock it is useless to go with out it. you can find a way to get instrutions on where to drill and tap on here if your run a search I am sure... minimal labor for a pretty good intake.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The most common years are 96-97. I have one for sale currently, it's a 97. The lower is a GT40 though, with the ACT hole. There is a difference in the lowers though. I'm not sure of the years, but on some, the port going from the intake to the head is about 1/8" shorter. There was a post about 2 or 3 years ago covering this. By the way I'm asking $250 for mine, it's currently in MI....:joy:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Shop around and check your local junk yards, i sold mine to cmichael for $200. Good luck its a nice budjet upgrade

·
Registered
210 Posts
The best thing about the Explorer is the price. Yes, it flows almost the same as the Cobra, but it costs half the price. Yes, you also have to modify the Explorer to work on the Mustang, but it is only a few minor mods. One reason I got the Exp. is because overall, it flows better than the Cobra. What I mean is, all the runners in the Exp. are equalized (flow almost the same cfm) over the whole range. Yes, the Cobra flows a few more cfm, but only at peak. I am talking strictly out of the box comparison here.

I bought the Explorer and didn't plan on modifying it right away so I wanted out of the box performance. Obviously, any mods to the intake are going to make it flow better. I was also on a budget and got the intake, 65mm tb, and new injectors for $250. I had time and not much money so I didn't mind having to modify things.

Plus, if you are concerned about emissions, the Cobra is easier to use because you don't have to modify it.

I am trying to find the websites I got my information from, but I am at work right now. I think I remember correctly, but don't take this as gospel.

I think they are a great bargin.

Clint

1 - 12 of 12 Posts