Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just noticed after i got my car back from the chassis shop that set my pinion angle, the driver side tire is not centered in the wheelwell. It needs to move towards the front of the car about 3/4". If i drop the lower control arm and make it shorter, it will effect pinion angle, right? What is the best way to this? Will i need to reset the pinion angle after ive got the lower set correctly? :confused:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
YEP! You are correct in every statment..
It almost sounds like they messed everything up..? You may want to make the adjustment then verify that it is square with a 4wheel alignment b/c this will mess up the tracking of the car..

ks:(

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make the adjustment of the lower bars, get it aligned, then set the pinion angle?

Thanks Kev!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shouldnt set the pinion angle first, just in case they have to move the lowers alil bit.......

when you gonna get a stang again?

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Once everything gets centered and squared then adjust the CA's to the proper angle. If you turn each one the same amount then everything will still be square.

Me? Get another Stang?..LOL.. Not until I can afford to run SSO which will be never:D
I would love to run/tune a 7second car myself. I have already helped others tune cars in the 8's but that 7 sec barrier isn't broke yet. Hopefiully in a few months I'll have several tho..:D

ks;)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I found that getting the tire centered and the pinion angle where you want it is a very iterative process. You can't just set the pinion angle with the uppers and then adjust the lowers to center the tire. When you do this you also change the pinion angle again. You need to go back and forth until they are both where you want them. It takes a little bit of time but it can be done. Also remember to start the arms with respective equal lengths and make the adjustment turns in equal amounts respectively. You might even find that the wheel well openings are not exactly in the same location side to side.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
BTW, what is the best way to make sure the car is completely level when setting pinion angle? Should i use a level? Where should i place the level...or angle finder on the car(just to get car level)? I will be doing this on the trailer, so i will use the front wheel on the trailer to bring it up or down. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Pretty easy; use a good type level,(about a 3 footer would be great). Floor or bottle jack with the capacity to lift the trailer & car combo & some blocks of wood or plywood. A couple 3\8",1\2", 5\8" & 1'' should do the trick. A couple chock blocks to make sure the trailer doesn't walk around while jacking her up is a good idea too.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm assuming you have adjustable uppers and lowers. Why is it so far off. Did the shop adjust your arms. Correct me if I"m wrong Kevin, but isn't that an awful lot of difference between the two sides, 3/4"? I had to adjust my old lca's last year. I think the passenger side only needed a couple turns to straighten it out. My brother could notice the difference how the car was tracking while watching me from behind in his truck on the way to the track. I don't recall it moving the wheel in the well that much, although I didn't make any before and after measurements.

What type of tans do you run, and what pinion angle do you use for curiousity sake?

Paul

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
The car doesn't need to be leveled b/c you are setting the angles with respect to the cars driveshaft or crankshaft (your choice). Just use some jack stands and place two of them under the axle so the rear is loaded and the rest under the chassis. See my web site that exlpains how to do this..

ks:D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
hey keven...i need help on getting my 91 lx rear back to normal..i installed ss lift bars and eibach spring..the uppers are still stock....the front of the rear end is lower than normal..got any help...also it looks like one side of the rear end is up farther than the other side..got any help......thanks alot, curtis

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Sounds like the rear coil springs may need turned so the end of the coils are in the same position from side to side..

ks

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
It sounds like your talking about the pinion angle is off and if the LCAs are not adjustable in length then YES you will probably need adjustable UCA's to correct it.

hth's
ks

·
Registered
470 Posts
I may not be remembering correctly, but when I installed my SSM's I thought I was able to adjust the pinion angle. Once I set it, it was "fixed" by either drilling a hole in the brackets and bolting, or welding the brackets together. There was a tab that estimated the correct position, but I think it was for reference only.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dont want to drag this out too much, just want to get it right and 100%. Here is the differance front to back of the wheel

now, when if i turn the upper arm just as many times as the lower, everything should line up. Dont i have to turn the upper 1/2 as much because its double adjustable? Dont matter anyway, im gonna check it all out anyway.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Fomoco347 said:
....if i turn the upper arm just as many times as the lower, everything should line up. Dont i have to turn the upper 1/2 as much because its double adjustable?
Correct.
Do both rear tires have the same amount of clearance on each side? If so then doing this should work fine. Just make sure you adjust both sides the same amount to get a baseline set up.

Good Luck!!
ks:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts