Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Totally different air handler box from non a/c car compared to a/c car. I know that 85-93 a/c equipped air handler boxes are the same. But unsure about earlier cars. But yes you would have to modify firewall as well. Daunting task there.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
You sure it’s 85-93 and not 87-93? I seem to remember the heater cores on the non-ac 85/86 cars were different and could be swapped out just by flipping the glovebox down. I think the ac units were the same as 87+
Yes the non a/c 83-86 are different air handler boxes and yes way easier to change the heater core because they were right behind the glove box. But the factory a/c equipped cars air handler boxes were the same from 85-93.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The fittings on the evaporator are different from 86 to 87, so you'll need an 87+ evap with the correct lines to make it simpler, plus the correct lowside pressure cutoff switch
I forgot about those fittings being different on the evaporator good call. Anyway going about this is going to be difficult unfortunately. The A/C control box the vacuum tubes behind the dash all the above mentioned is going to be a nightmare.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts