Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT, 5.0L, 5 speed
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1985 Mustang GT, 5.0, manual. It did not come with factory AC (and has no A/C presently). I'm looking at putting AC into the car because and I'm not about toughing it out these summers in a black car in Florida.

My rough plan was to grab all the brackets, hoses, and everything from a parts car from a salvage yard. I already have this just about figured out and I think I know where to source these items from. Then I'd probably go pick up a LMR kit to convert all that R12 junk to R134A and would give me some newer components that I hopefully wont have to worry about for awhile. All the under the hood stuff I'm feeling pretty good about doing and sourcing.

My questions come down to, I've only pulled a heater core / dash out once, like 15 years ago and I'm feeling rusty about it. I don't know the nuances of what is under the dash in the car I have and I don't want to figure it out when I get there. I'm hoping someone can answer for me, for a non a/c car of this specific year, does the under dash air handler come standard with both heat and a/c, with just the a/c elements missing out of it? Or is it a totally different air handler box depending if you had a/c or not?

If needed, can I swap in any fox air handler that has a/c or do I need a 85/86 specific since the dash is different than the newer foxes?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I found this thread. - A/C vs. non A/C heater core box

If I'm understanding this right, non a/c cars have different firewalls AND air handler boxes? Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sheesh this is really looking like a project. Just amassing resources in one thread as I go.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But yes you would have to modify firewall as well. Daunting task there.
Yea, definitely much more work than just replacing some parts. I may have to think hard about this.

I know that 85-93 a/c equipped air handler boxes are the same.
At least for finding parts this simplifies things a little bit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha ha ha that'll happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts