Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed oil on the underside of my hood right over where the bypass valve dumps off.....then i pull the elbow comming off the head unit and surprise surprise, oil all over it...yay. it's been almost a year that my car hasn't been 100%, one thing after another....:mad:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Hopefully ATI will do right by you as they have for me in the past. I just hope that you don't have to keep returning the blower as I did time after time for leaky seals.
Im getting ready to reinstall my D1SC after its latest seal replacement, guess we'll see how mine holds up too.
BTW when you get it back, keep an eye on the rubber outlet tube of the supercharger, Id remove it once every couple of days after running the car to look for signs of oil.

good luck
Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

·
Registered
606 Posts
Why aren't you guys just going with the tried and proven oil return type of blowers?
I know from watching Paulka21's post, he's had lots of reliabilty issues with SC type of blower. Never read anything about the return style D1's having issues (though i don't keep up much).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Ya, I haven't read much about the D1's either, but the few posts I have seen are all positive.

Anyone want to chime in on the D1?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
originally i just liked the idea of having it self contained and not having to tap into the oil pan. plus if u blow a head gasket or something and coolant gets into your oil it can get into your s/c too...i dunno now id just rather tap into the engine oil so i wouldnt have to deal with these leaks..

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much oil do you put in it?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
each bottle contains 6oz of oil....i usually put in the whole thing pretty much

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The speedshop that put my P1SC in said to only use 4oz. I know, the bottle on the oil says to use all 6 on that kit, but all Im saying is thats what they told me. I wish someone from Procharger would clear it all up for us!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm that might be a good idea....usually i fill it up so its at the top of the black dipstick piece......i think when i get it back ill only fill it up to the bottom of the line, too much oil will only cause problems....especially with the pressure that builds up in there. when i unscrew the dipstick u can hear air under pressure

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Has anyone sent the head unit back out of warranty for seals leaking ? How was ATI ? Whats the cost for new seals? Will they sell the seals or do they only install them themselves ? Damn i hope this S**T dosnt happen to me..I got enough to deal with(headgaskets & what not):eek:

Oh BTW what max boost are you guys running to be having seals leaking ?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have a solid 10lbs - no leaks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im sure dan will chime in for this......he send his back a total of 5 times. He sent his old D1SC back 4 times, they finally gave him a brand new blower and that one began to leak so he sent that back for a seal replacement too. He only had to pay for the 1st replacement so thats not bad. It definatly doesnt happen to everyone, but if it does it only takes like 10min to take the blower off......its just a pain in the ass and its a problem that shouldnt even happen, and its definatly garbage to pay for it. but what are u gonna do, when their not leaking they make sick power.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I've sent my D1B back 2 times. I think I'm one of the few that had problems with the oil fed ones. Its doing fine now.

Dont forget you have to pay shipping each time you ship it
:rolleyes: and quite a few long distance phone calls.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Tat98Cobra said:
The speedshop that put my P1SC in said to only use 4oz. I know, the bottle on the oil says to use all 6 on that kit, but all Im saying is thats what they told me. I wish someone from Procharger would clear it all up for us!
Ive been using about 9/10th's of a bottle of oil since the 2nd blown supercharger internal seal. The first two seals I used a full bottle, however after this happened I've been hearing about people not using as much oil to keep the internal pressure down.
I tried this same thing w/ the new supercharger head unit,and it blew a seal within 3 weeks, or 500 miles.

Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
94BLOWNCOBRA said:
Has anyone sent the head unit back out of warranty for seals leaking ? How was ATI ? Whats the cost for new seals? Will they sell the seals or do they only install them themselves ? Damn i hope this S**T dosnt happen to me..I got enough to deal with(headgaskets & what not):eek:

Oh BTW what max boost are you guys running to be having seals leaking ?
as Neo said, the first time I sent back my procharger it was out of warranty. I explained to ATI that I knew there were seal problems and that I should not have to pay for something that should be a "recall." They agreed to go halves with me on the seal replacement, and I paid shipping. After having their new seal design installed, the blower still leaked 3 more times, and each of these times they took care of shipping and repair.
After this they just replaced the head unit with a new blower, however this one leaked after 3 weeks driving. I even broke the thing in nice and soft, no boost till after 150 miles.
I dont know if the would sell the seals, you'd have to call them to ask.
What you should do ( as well as everyone who has a self contained procharger ) is to remove the rubber discharge tube coming from the supercharger head unit after running the car for a while, and getting into boost. Check this rubber discharge tube for signs of oil. This is the most common problem that I found with the supercharger leaking oil. I would have oil coating the discharge tube from the head unit, as well as oil spraying from the bypass tubing that was vented to atmosphere.
All in all ATI has worked with me well with fixing/replacing my supercharger, I just wish they could get it right! The service with me was very good, and the people were courteous to me when I spoke with them. Hopefully everyone else will have the same experience.
BTW I was asking about a non self contained D1, they didnt seem too keen on the idea of doing this for me. The one rep who I spoke with told me that I would make less power with a D1 as the synthetic oil used in the self contained blowers is real thin and causes less parasitic drag than motor oil. Also said that the self contained blower would make boost sooner, however I dont see how w/ the same impellar. I can understand that a D1SC would have less chance of belt slippage due to the double pulleys on the SC bracket, where the D1 doesnt have that.

Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
94BLOWNCOBRA said:
Ok, so how much was it to go halfers on the first seal replacement not including shipping ??
I believe it was $125-150

Dan

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I had a friend machinist make an extra idler pulley that I could install above the lower one on my oil fed D1B. I have the best of both worlds now with the extra idler pulley like the self contained ones have and also no leaks.

Don't forget the self containd D series have a poorer step up ratio of 4.10:1 (i think thats it) compared to the oil fed D's that are 4.44:1 which means you can run a larger pulley(more traction) and get the same boost as a S.C. unit that has to run a slightly smaller pulley for the same boost. I dunno, this difference may be negligible.

Heres a pic of the extra idler. Let me know if it works or not.

Idler setup

1 - 18 of 18 Posts